IMSA Engine Smokey Yunick 3.8???

yipekiya

Turbo Yoda
I found a IMSA engine for sale 3.8 ltr the block supposedly pre dates the stage blocks. It is supposedly an experimental block it is even fire and the block is stamped HD on the back no numbers on it.. Any ideas what this is?

Originally posted by yipekiya
I found a IMSA engine for sale 3.8 ltr the block supposedly pre dates the stage blocks. It is supposedly an experimental block it is even fire and the block is stamped HD on the back no numbers on it.. Any ideas what this is?

There were some oddball blocks in the 82-3 time frame; Ron Tarabori has/had one I picked up here in Jax for him last year. It had the open valley casting and 8 bolt deck, but the main webs looked beefed up. Might be something like that...

oddball block

Some of these blocks had a single reinforcement rib that went from the center top of the radius where the timing cover meets the block to the top of the center base for the intake. They also, had one rib in the back of the block that only went up half way on the way up to intake. Very odd indeed. I have not seen one for a long time, since I had one. It also had HD in raised letters on it.:)