You can type here any text you want

Inentify Kirbans GNX Suspension vs. Genuine

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

theMonch

2QIK4U
I was wondering if there is any way to tell a Kirbans GNX suspension kit (or other aftermarket kit) from the real deal from ASC.

Not that it matters much anyway, from what I read there identical, just curious if there was a tell tale to identify the real thing or not.

P.S. Not looking to make a fake or anything, just curious about a car I might purchase.

Thanks

Technically there is no difference other than who installed it and when it was installed. A well known Grand National collector in North Carolina purchased the original tooling/fixtures/jigs etc. for the GNX rear suspension. It is marketed to the public through Kirban's. The installation work can be done either at Kirban's PA location or in NC at this collector's shop.

A few years ago, GM really cracked down on the GNX parts being sold by various vendors without licensing through GM. That is why Kirban's does not sell GNX emblems, wheel center cap decals, etc. anymore. Going through the process to petition GM to approve a product for marketing, becoming a member of the GM licensing group, meeting minimum sales quotas, etc. is a very costly undertaking. As a result, if you were to purchase a GNX rear suspension today, the rear end cover does not have "GNX" embossed on it anymore.

Also, if the GNX type rear suspension is on a verified GNX, it was obviously done be the ASC McLaren project.

Doug (GNX Registry) on this board can confirm a VIN as real GNX or clone.

Thanks Anthony, I was just curious. I know that the car is definetly not the real thing and the seller is not misrepresenting it at all. I have just heard a few urban legends about GNX's that were wrecked and the unique parts were transfered over to a GN. I know that at least one of these stories seems to be true from a post I found on here, but I know that I have heard it a few times more. To be perfectly honest I don't care one way or the other, I just wanted to see if there was a way to tell for curiosity's sake.

Thanks Again for the quick reply.

The only thing that is not exact on the Kirban reproduction is the rear end cover. Like it was stated above the newer Kirban reproductions dont have the GNX logo on the cover anymore and the earlier ones that do have GNX on them are a little different also. The Kirban covers are a little thicker where the ladder bar connects at the top and bottom (They say this was done to make them stronger) and none of the Kirban reproductions have the number embossed on the lower right ear. Just look at the pictures I have here. The two covers together are both reproductions (one early and a newer one without the GNX logo) and the other picture is of the number found on the originals. I'm not sure if they all have the same number 196 but they all do have a number there if they are original.

Attachments

• HPIM1151 (Small).JPG
    HPIM1151 (Small).JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 2,748
  • HPIM0518 (Small).JPG
    HPIM0518 (Small).JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,343
yes, there have been a few GNXs re-created from wrecked originals and the transfer of parts to a donor GN including the original VIN (which is a NO-NO). this was a recent thread topic when someone asked about transplanting the dash VIN plate from one car to another.

GNX 298 comes to mind about the transfer of VIN tag and parts. the original car was wrecked and a guy in PA listed the re-constructed car with the original VIN on EBAY. then someone else posted pics of the wrecked car. the seller did ultimately post a pic of the PA reconstructor's "permit" he got for the car from PA motor vehicles dept., but you can't just re-rivet the VIN to another car. law enforcement doesn't look too kindly on the general public possessing those rose-bud rivets.

Turbo87Regal posted some good info. I forgot about the rear end cover having a number cast onto it. after looking at a few things, i believe that casting # corresponds to a specific GNX (dash numbered plate has same number cast on the rear end cover).

Like it was stated above the newer Kirban reproductions dont have the GNX logo on the cover anymore and the earlier ones that do have GNX on them are a little different also.

Why did Kirban stop making them with the logo? :confused: They looked much better...:rolleyes: I have one on my GN but without the "ears" on it...

Claude :smile:

Well as it turns out, it looks like the suspension was the real deal. Or at least the rear cover was. It had the stamp on the outboard ladder ear that has a "220" in it. The car was branded with 458 on the dash. I had to pass on the car. You can read whole story here. Additionally, if you know anyone who has something like I describe I am looking for in the below post, let me know.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/cars-sale/240394-87-buick-gn-2.html

Nice write up. You'd think he'd at least shop vac off the floor mats before asking 17k for a high mileage car?

Thanks, I only wish that I had remembered my camera. Yeah, it speaks volumes about how you treated your car, when you don't even bother to wash it before showing it. Had this car been washed and detailed, I probably would be considering coming back for it once the title was sorted out.

Especially in today's market. 18k is a TON of money now. I sold my car a year ago for 18k and it was spotless, no rust, no dirt, no grime, etc. I wouldn't even go look at a car for that much coin with pics like that. I'd bet the receipts folder is less than full as well...

Normally I wouldn't waste my time either, but the car comes real close with what my plans are and the price was well under 18k so I decided to roll the dice. Unfortunately I rolled craps. I'm just glad I didn't load the car hauler and drive all the way down here.

I understand that the future for the reproduction GNX suspension from Kirbans is unclear right now. (I believe there are none currently in stock)

Anyone have any idea how many Reproduction Kirbans GNX suspensions were sold? If so how many with the "GNX" in the cover and how many without?

On that note, anyone have one they want to sell?

I understand that the future for the reproduction GNX suspension from Kirbans is unclear right now. (I believe there are none currently in stock)

Anyone have any idea how many Reproduction Kirbans GNX suspensions were sold? If so how many with the "GNX" in the cover and how many without?

On that note, anyone have one they want to sell?

TTT
Really, no one knows anything on this one. Perhaps maybe I should move it to the Suspension Category?

Back