You can type here any text you want

input needed for trans an/ gnx type wheels. check out my homemade centercaps.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turboterror

So I ended up piecing together 4 front trans am wheels for my 86 gn. They came from all over the us. I found 4 silver center caps on ebay for a starting bid of 1.99, I put the opening bid and got them, 19.00 to ship. I bought the turbo six decals from snakeskinner off ebay(great guy,Ive bought several good quality things from him) I think after all is said and done I have around 30.00 total in them.

I then bought a can of trim paint to spray the centercaps, they came out nice and was exactly the finish I wanted. Not flat, not glossy. I just scuffed them with 400 grit and sprayed them.The turbo 6 decals werent very much either, you guys should check him out. I havent refinished the wheels yet but will re spray the black lace,I may also strip the lips and polish them out.

I cant decide if Im going to go chrome lug nuts or black, if I go black where can I source those black plastic covers? any clue? I know if I try and paint closed end lug nuts they will look like crap.Maybe chrome lug nuts would look nice with the lip? what sized tires would look right and work?Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• gnx wheel.jpg
    gnx wheel.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 162
Ok awesome thanks, Ill check them out. Im just torn over what look is going to work for me and the car. Im leaning towards the black caps for a more oem look.

you can get the stock 12mm lug nuts that take the caps and the matching caps from any auto parts store that carries Dorman stuff- which is to say every parts store. there is nothing special about them..
those lug nuts and caps got used on a lot of different cars from the mid 80's to the current model year- so maybe even just walk around in a junkyard with a 19mm socket and breaker bar until you've got 20 nuts and 20 caps..

that being said, i prefer the look of chrome lug nuts on the black wheels.. it breaks up all that black, and you can buy the acorn style nuts for about a buck a piece if you can find a store that carries them in bulk.

Years ago I too found the center caps in black on EBay and also the decals. I also have an extra set in case one is lost or damage; and I also have the chrome lug nuts. these rims are 16" and I had 255/50's all around. My next tire replacement will still be 255/50 for the rear but the front I was going to change to 245/50. I did notice when I turn the wheels fully the tires just touch the frame.
11-01-09_1515.jpg

Back