Installing a used turbo...

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
i am going to be buying a used PTE-44 off of a board member. the turbo has about 5000 miles on it. when i get it off of him, and i am installing it, i was going to install a new oil line. then i was wondering should i run the oil i am running now (mobil 1, syntheic, 10W-30) or should i go back to 'real' oil?

the reason i ask this is because i read some where when installing a new turbo to use real oil. but since this is a used turbo i dont know if it still applies.

then i was reading on GnTtype.org:

When installing the new turbo it is most likely that you will have to realign the compressor and turbine housings. To do so, loosen the bolt that hold the housings onto the center section. Set the turbo on the exhaust manifold. Temporarily install the 3 nuts. Make sure the compressor housing lines up with the intercooler inlet. Also make sure that the oil feed line and drainback tube bolts will start. Soon as you get everything in line, snug up a couple of the bolts on each housing. Remove the turbo and tighten bolts to spec. Tighten in a "star pattern". Make sure the wheels spin freely.

what does all that mean? or will this be another thing i dont have to worry about because its a used turbo?

then i was wondering if there is a gasket between the exhaust housing on the turbo and the passenger side header?

thanks for any help

thanks

-Neil

imo i would say have a qualified tech check your turbo befoere you put it on. i put mine on and it had 500 miles on it when i got it and it blew the seals after a couple of months. i coulda saved a bunch of money on a rebuild but i was dumb and didnt cjeck it out before hand.

Yes get it checked. I bought mine used and it didnt have any play at all. Now about 1800 miles later I just took it off and it has alot im suprized it didnt come apart and take out my motor. Im glad I took it off to check it out.