You can type here any text you want

Installing aftermarket water temp gauge

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
Looking into installing an aftermarket water temp gauge.

I noticed most tend to install theirs on the driver side of the block. Are there no other available areas to install the sensor?

Also is the hole on the side of the block that is most commonly used for a sensor.....is that a 1/8 NPT 27 thread count hole?

Thanks.

Most guys install the aftermarket water temperature sensor on the passenger side of the intake. This is where the original GM sensor is located (just behind the compressor side of the turbo).
Jeff

That's the preferred spot, where the cooling warning light sender is. Eliminating the factory sender won't cause the light to stay on in the dash. I use that light hole for my low alky warning light. My Autometer mechanical gauge is very close to the reading on my scan tool.
-Jimmy

Thanks for the input, as I was able to pin point the sensor you were referring to.

But I also happened to notice there's two other sensors on the intake...one of them is on the front of the intake in the same spot as the sensor you mentioned except it's on the other side, then there's another sensor above that near the fuel pressure regulator.

I am going to guess one of these is for the fan and the other to tell the ECM the temp reading?

But however someone installed a VDO water temp gauge on my car before I purchased it. They have the sensor installed on the side of the block down near the oil pan. I plan to pull the sensor off (and the gauge too) and I will need to plug up the hole and have no idea what size pipe plug I need.

Thanks.

You are correct, one is the ECM sensor for water temp and the other is the fan switch. 1/8" NPT (National Pipe Thread) for the plug in the side of the block. I'd be plugging that block hole and install your temp sender at the factory sender hole on the intake as described previously. HTH - Jimmy

Where on the fire wall did you bring the sender thru? I do not want to drill a hole big enough to stick it thru. Just wondering so I can do it this winter.

Thanks
Coach

Where on the fire wall did you bring the sender thru? I do not want to drill a hole big enough to stick it thru. Just wondering so I can do it this winter.

Well, as I have learned some ass clown that jimmy wrigged the sensors/wiring all together, was only slightly smart enough to have ran the tiny 22 gauge wires thru the speedo cable grommet.

Back