Intake manifold question...

Scorp965

Are the intake manifolds on the carb'd 3.8L Buick V6's interchangable with those on the injected 3.8L motors?

you cannot fuel inject a carbbed intake, and vise versa, you cannot carb an injected intake. They will bolt up the the block, however, you need a TBI custom job in order to make the carburated intake injected, and event then, it is throttle body injected, and not sequential port...So...If you need an intake, I got a spare, if not, hope I helped a little!

john

You can't intercool the draw-thru set up you have with out changing everything bolted to the engine. Intercooling is not a magic bullet. There are other things you can do to cool the air/fuel charge - most effective is probably alcohol injection.

A shorter route to an intercooler would be converting to a blow-thru carb arrangement - still a lot of money, a lot of work. Alcohol injection makes much, much more sense.

Originally posted by b4black
You can't intercool the draw-thru set up you have with out changing everything bolted to the engine. Intercooling is not a magic bullet. There are other things you can do to cool the air/fuel charge - most effective is probably alcohol injection.

A shorter route to an intercooler would be converting to a blow-thru carb arrangement - still a lot of money, a lot of work. Alcohol injection makes much, much more sense.

I have quite a bit invested in this motor (otherwise I might just look for a '87 setup to shove in there), and I would really like to intercool it - while I am aware other options exist for cooling down the air going into the motor I would really prefer an intercooler.

I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to details about these motors (this is kind of a weekend car, I know a lot more about BMWs), I guess I don't understand what you mean by draw thru vs. blow thru, from what I understand the turbo is in the same location with the same piping in my carb'd motor as it is in a hot air injected motor? Air is being pushed into the block, if I can take this air before it goes into the block & run it through an intercooler (eg with the custom intake manifold in the below thread) I would have denser air and I could run higher boost - am I missing something here?

Draw-thru = carb----turbo--intake
Blow-thru = turbo--carb----intake

The draw/blow refers to air movement thru the carb. In a draw thru, the carb is not under pressure, and the turbo has air/fuel going thru it. In blow thru, the turbo doesn't have any fuel going thru it, but the carb gets pressurized.

Adding an IC in the draw thru arrangement would mean having air and fuel going thru it (the fuel would condense/puddle). Also the extra distance the fuel would have to travel would add to the turbo lag.

Running more boost is a function of having less (no) knock. Cooler air charges resist knock, and intercooling is one way to do it, but not the only way. With your current configuration, adding an intercooler is very low on the bang/buck scale.

Start with small steps. How much boost are you running now? Factory was 9 psi, and intercooling isn't even effective at that pressure. A book called "Turbochargers" by Hugh McInnes is worth buying.