You can type here any text you want

Intake Manifold

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

deenasty

Hey Guys, first and foremost thanks for reading and taking your time, which I know is valuable. I just finished up a small build (TA49 HD Actuator, PTE SLIC, Alky, etc.) on my GN. It is tuned via TT. I am having a an issue, that I will try my best to describe. When I am coasting on the highway at steady speeds, and slowly get into the throttle, the boost gauge goes crazy in low boost levels (0-15lbs). This issue is not an issue at WOT, or when it isn't slowly building boost. I have attached a video of my boost gauge, so I hope it helps. Any idea or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Here is a link to the video on youtube:

GN Turbo Flutter

very common TA 49 issue once boost is raised above stock ..its compressor surge from throttle blade restriction, feels like a bucking when trying to accelerate like to pass a car but not blow the tires off , i hated it , with speed density it seems to never occur because the MAF is not there reacting to the surging which then changes the fueling and then repeats
some have suggested using a tornado in the maf pipe infront of turbo to prevent the maf from getting confused

Last edited:
very common TA 49 issue once boost is raised above stock ..its compressor surge from throttle blade restriction, feels like a bucking when trying to accelerate like to pass a car but not blow the tires off , i hated it , with speed density it seems to never occur because the MAF is not there reacting to the surging which then changes the fueling and then repeats
some have suggested using a tornado in the maf pipe infront of turbo to prevent the maf from getting confused

I too thought that what I am experiencing was compressor surge, until I turned the alky off and noticed that the flutter was hardly there at all. I am starting to think that the car is a bit rich, and the alky is making it richer and therefore making the problem worse.

I contact Julio and he suggested I turn the "turn on" a bit, since the kit was activating at 5psi, and he suggested it come on at about 8psi and lower the gain knob from 7 to 5.

I will be bringing the boost down to about 16-18lbs and try and get the fueling and alky dialed in first, before raising the boost any higher. Does this sound like a solid idea?

Yup right around 12psi is when I would get it with my old set up. Had to either stay at 10 or power through it to 15 or so. I did the Tornado and it helped.

This is the reason I opted for an S ported shroud on my turbo purchase when I upgraded mine.
The ported shroud on my DBB5857 Precision Turbo prevents such an occurrence.

Yes, the ported cover wasn't available back when I had my 6131. I'm sure it would have eliminated that issue.

I installed the tornado and it does work - crazy but it made the car 98% more smooth during part throttle acceleration

I installed the tornado and it does work - crazy but it made the car 98% more smooth during part throttle acceleration
I am having a similar issue as the op. Do you have a part number for the tornado you used? Thanks

I am having a similar issue as the op. Do you have a part number for the tornado you used? Thanks
Check ebay, you just need the one that matches the inside diameter of your intake pipe. I picked up a used 3" one for $10, it looks like all the ones on there now are $30-50.

In the link attached in post #7, “Go to ebay, look for kit # KI-75 (3")” was mentioned. If you have a 3” maf pipe this should work for you.

Back