You can type here any text you want

Intercooler shopping - Need some guidance.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Boostian

Backstory: 87 T, stock internals, basic bolt ins, valve springs, TE60, alky, etc. my next step is upgrading the stock intercooler. I'm going with a front mount. Comparing the RJC 315 to the 325 to TR customs Extreme (24x11x3) front mount.

I'm not super concerned with weight. They all seem to be within ~10lbs of each other. I am going to have to upgrade at least my stock fans to dual, and am going to throw some intrepid fans on and see how summer temps get.

Now down to the bottom line: price. TR's is $600. The RJC 325 is 800 (on sale) and the 315 is $900 not on sale.

$600 is much easier to spend, especially with the cost of fans (cheap for intrepid ones now) and potentially a radiator (although mine is good).

So....

Is there something that makes the RJC 315 worth $300 more than the TR Extreme? Any real world feedback here?

Look at it this way, the RJC is 1/3 more in cost. Is it 1/3 better then the TR extreme. I highly doubt it. I'm saying this even with me having the RJC on my car

We have lots of them out there. No complaints. Personally I like the Super Extreme one the best.

Assuming all things equal (bar and plate, tube and fin, fins per inch) I think it is possible to go too thick on the core width for a street car. Not a race car.

However, It's never possible to go to wide or tall. The more square inches of core area the better. I would baffle or shroud the entire space behind the bumper and around the IC to prevent any air from escaping around it at cruise. If it goes through the grill.....it should go through the IC.

Worked for me. At cruise with light throttle position I get within 10 degrees of ambient sometimes. When I stop it heats up real fast. If the IC had more mass it may take longer to shed that heat after cruising.

Look at it this way, the RJC is 1/3 more in cost. Is it 1/3 better then the TR extreme. I highly doubt it. I'm saying this even with me having the RJC on my car
This is my main question. If i went RJC I'd get the 315 as my car is a pure street car with very occasional track. I like the fact that it still allows a lot of cooling to the engine while efficiently doing its job.

But again, compare that to the Extreme (think the Super is too much for me) and you're talking 50% more cost. That $300 is enough for fans, Fbody radiator(if needed), and shipping.

Put a Precision SLIC on with your mods, good for hi 9s.:cool: Something to consider on intercoolers is RJC's is Made in USA and this is important to me and his intercoolers are on lots of real fast cars. :D JMHO

Buy big core area. And buy the fans in the spring. 4 months to save for that. Sell the house. you can't drive that. You could live in the car:D

Put a Precision SLIC on with your mods, good for hi 9s.:cool: Something to consider on intercoolers is RJC's is Made in USA and this is important to me and his intercoolers are on lots of real fast cars. :D JMHO
The main thing that is leaning me towards the 315-xtf is the driving temps. It's just really hard to swallow that price. I know you get what you pay for but price is an obvious concern for me.

A used one would be amazing. Or a sale. $750-800 shipped is a lot easier to stomach than $1000.

Oh well

Any more input guys, please share.

Buy big core area. And buy the fans in the spring. 4 months to save for that. Sell the house. you can't drive that. You could live in the car:D
I considered telling my wife this but my shed is too small for her, me, and both kids.

What type of intake charge temps are you seeing?a duty neck with alky can go real fast and keep charge temps down.
Unsure. Not logging yet. I can feel a difference street driving and at the track when the stock IC gets heat soaked. I don't even have a Dutt neck and either way, with everything else I've done, and IC upgrade is next in line.

I think a used unit will help the cost and get you the best intercooler at the best price. Call RJC sometimes they have some used ones when the customer upgrades or goes from SLIC to a front mount..

Yes I think I've made my decision, especially after reading every thread available with searching

Thanks guys.

Back