You can type here any text you want

Intercooler Upgrades Using E85/Alky

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mtocrs1

Mtocrs1
At what point is it really needed when running E85 or Alky.
The E85 and Alky cool the charge so it's really not a matter of the cooling effect, right?
So at what point is the stock Intercooler really a restriction.
Can the factory unit get a full weight car in the 10's with Alky or E85?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda the opposite actually. When chemical intercooling, you rely less on mechanical intercooling.

Now as far as a bottleneck, it doesn't matter what kind of fuel you run when it comes to the stock intercooler being a cork.

Kinda the opposite actually. When chemical intercooling, you rely less on mechanical intercooling.

Now as far as a bottleneck, it doesn't matter what kind of fuel you run when it comes to the stock intercooler being a cork.
Earl I must not have been clear in my original post. Correct I am not rely relying on the Intercooler for mechanical cooling for lack of a better term. My real question is how much of a bottle neck is it really? Can someone run High 10's on one? Has it been done? Has it been done on just a Dut Neck modified one?

The factory IC can go 10's if you push enough boost through it. A Dutt neck usually allows 2-3psi more. For example, my front mount allowed 3-4 psi over my stretched IC.

The factory IC can go 10's if you push enough boost through it. A Dutt neck usually allows 2-3psi more. For example, my front mount allowed 3-4 psi over my stretched IC.
Thanks for the input. My GN came with a CAS V4 that I just sold to purchase a front mount. I like big front mounts more than SLICS.
I was Intercooler shopping and got to thinking about the price VS hp improvement.
Got to thinking about what I really needed it for etc. Etc.
I might just run the stocker for a while and see what happens. Maybe install a Dut neck.

I took advise from an old timer that knows his TB stuff. Run the biggest IC you possibly can. You want that air charge to be chilled.

With that said, I run E85,front mount and alky. On an 85 degree day, my trap intake temps are 77 degrees. This year, I am logging EGT and exhaust pressure and see what I can do to the tune to max it out.

Earl I must not have been clear in my original post. Correct I am not rely relying on the Intercooler for mechanical cooling for lack of a better term. My real question is how much of a bottle neck is it really? Can someone run High 10's on one? Has it been done? Has it been done on just a Dut Neck modified one?

You can't say how much of a bottleneck a part is unless you know what's sucking on it. A stock unmodified intercooler is more than enough for a 3.5hp lawnmower any day of the week. The more air you put through it the more it has the potential to be a cork. The amount of air that it takes to run 10's will most likely bottleneck the stock intercooler.

Yes, I'm sure a stock intercooler has went 10's many a time.... but why the hell would you want to? At 10's it has to be a bottleneck (not to mention, most likely a leaky POS too) You'd probably end up with 10 more PSI on the intake side than the manifold side. With the turbo working that much harder, there'll be more cylinder dilution, etc....

Is a better SLIC or at least a Dutt neck out out the question?

On alky you could probably get rid of the intercooler altogether and have instaspool.

You can't say how much of a bottleneck a part is unless you know what's sucking on it. A stock unmodified intercooler is more than enough for a 3.5hp lawnmower any day of the week. The more air you put through it the more it has the potential to be a cork. The amount of air that it takes to run 10's will most likely bottleneck the stock intercooler.

Yes, I'm sure a stock intercooler has went 10's many a time.... but why the hell would you want to? At 10's it has to be a bottleneck (not to mention, most likely a leaky POS too) You'd probably end up with 10 more PSI on the intake side than the manifold side. With the turbo working that much harder, there'll be more cylinder dilution, etc....

Is a better SLIC or at least a Dutt neck out out the question?

On alky you could probably get rid of the intercooler altogether and have instaspool.

10 second hardware is what is theoretically on the receiving end of the Intercooler. So anything from a stock unopened block all the way up to a stage 2 depending on who you ask.
I am trying to avoid avoid purchasing 120lb injectors for an engine that only needs some green stripes so to speak.
So far everyone thinks 120's are best on the Intercooler conversation.

Thanks for the input so far guys. Already have my super huge front mount picked out. Will be ordered in the AM.

Back