You can type here any text you want

Intermediate boost issues

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
So here's the deal, sometimes when i go to get into the boost it does nothing then at other times ,on the same drive, in the same gear, at the same speed, ill get on her and boost galore. I am noticing when the boost doesn't build i will hear like a low pitch groan when i get on the gas, imagine something like a low pitch horse sneeze that's continuous opposed to the repetitive sound of horse sneeze. This could very well be the sound of a naturally aspirated v6 but i hear it none the less. I am thinking maybe a turbo actuator that is sticking ? That sound possible ?

Turbo is a TE44 from what I was told, has a new RJC downpipe. Also it seems to build boost a little slow, I made a boost leak tester but didn't find any significant leaks at 25psi. Had the headers off this winter and did not notice any cracks, drivers side header has been repaired by previous owner.

Possible wastegate hanging open. Remove the actuator rod and work the wastegate open and closed. See how it feels. It could be catching on the flange preventing it from closing every time. Your not running a gasket are you?

Still cant figure this out, i put a mighty vac on the actuator and it seems to operate normal. I missed your gasket question and yes im running a remflex gasket but i had these same issues before i changed the gasket, im thinking about buying a new actuator but hate to just waste $100 but i cant think of what else it could be. What are all the things that could cause this so i can make a check list before i just start throwing parts at it ?

Yes, Its like i can hear the turbo pressure escaping and not building when the issue occurs but when i ease off to the side of the road and pop the hood the swing arm is always all the way over in the closed position.

Not sure of the brand but 3" pipe with a Tin Man cold air kit and K&N air filter. 3.5" MAF and basic translator

If it is a exhaust side leak would the issue come and go ? I had my spare header welded and braced and will be installing it soon

If the crack or leak opens up at certain temps it is possible. I have seen some weld jobs leak on the drivers side header and flanges leak because they were not welded correctly.

Check the turbo. Make sure it spins freely. Check compressor wheel for excessive side to side play and look for signs that It's contacting the housing.

Make sure intake pipe is clear of forn objects like a rag or something.

Something else to consider is a fuel issue. Need fuel to build boost.

Where are you located? Maybe there is another tb guy close that can lend a hand.

I've had a issue where my muffler was breaking internally and would cause me intermittent boost issues . Make sure your exsaust isn't blocked and free flowing

I'm in Michigan metro Detroit area. Every inch of my exhaust is new so doubt that is the issue, problem was there before I changed the exhaust anyway.

Well I changed the drivers side header and that made no difference and now all of a sudden I'm blowing white smoke. Think things just took a turn for the worse.

Back