Is my computer shot or something else?

nickz843

i have a 84 gn i crank it up once a week to keep things goin. one day i fired up, it ran for a half second and died. my friend/mechanic sad he thinks it the computer. i didn't know if the crank sensor could do the same things. it has no injector pulse. how can i test these?:confused::confused:

I've been having the same problem. I just replaced the timing cover now it won't start at all. I checked and double checked to see if I installed the cam sensor correctly and it is. A friend came over with a scan tool that would read the electrical pulses with a bar graph. Both the cam and crank sensors are working like they should but it seems there is no injector pulse. I'm going to check again before I replace the ECM. I'll let you know how it goes.

I've been having the same problem. I just replaced the timing cover now it won't start at all. I checked and double checked to see if I installed the cam sensor correctly and it is. A friend came over with a scan tool that would read the electrical pulses with a bar graph. Both the cam and crank sensors are working like they should but it seems there is no injector pulse. I'm going to check again before I replace the ECM. I'll let you know how it goes.

What ECM and chip in the car?

I have the stock ecm and prom chip.

Was it running fine before?
Which slot in the crank sensor is lined up?
Are the grounds ok for the ignition module/coil?
Wires at the ignition/cam/crank sensor completely plugged in?
Change anything else during the job?

Where in TX? (Update your profile :cool:)

It intermittently had problems starting before. Like it was out of time. I checked both cam and crank sensor signals at the ignition module and they're good. Without looking I think the crank sensor is on the inside groove. I didn't change it's position in the mount. I used a different balancer but the sensor vanes are clocked exactly the same. Other than that, everything is the same.

I'm in Plano.