You can type here any text you want

Is the EGR needed ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cottonpicker14

Hi
I just bought an RJC power plate for the plenum. The instructions say the plate is not drilled for the EGR valve and gives instructions on how to drill it out if you want to use the EGR function
My question is, what does the EGR do AND should I block it off or drill the hole.
Thanks

I have a power plate on the way and I'm going to drill a hole to keep the EGR function. I want to pass emissions when necessary.

I'll drill at least a 1/4 or 3/8 inch hole in the plate. :) I've read where some have eliminated the EGR all together. Since I will sell my car someday and want to pass emissions now, I'll keep the EGR function. :)

lee

EGR is an Exhaust Gas Recirculation system that attempts to reduce the oxides of nitrogen (NOx). Basically, it introduces spent exhaust gasses into the intake stream to reduce certain emissions.

Guess I actually learned something at UTI?

My state (Illinois) doesn't test for NOx, and my county doesn't have any emissions testing.

So, to answer your other question, if your state/county tests for NOx, then YES you'll need a functioning EGR system.

As always, thanks for the help and the explanation. I too have a stock TTA and want to keep it that way, with only bolt on's. So I will drill the hole
Thanks again

EGR will really help you with the tougher emission testing standard if you ever fall into that. It's tough to pass stuff like IM240 without a functioning EGR and cat converter. I heard it's been done but it's usually with FAST systems from what I have read.

Street driven car? Most definitely keep it functional.

mark b said:
I heard it's been done but it's usually with FAST systems from what I have read.

For the conditions that the emission tests are run, an oem ecm will at least match if not surpass what a FAST would do, for most any street car, with capable tuning. While some might perfer tuning a FAST since some find it more intuitive, some one that's sharp with a stocker could do the same things.

bruce said:
For the conditions that the emission tests are run, an oem ecm will at least match if not surpass what a FAST would do, for most any street car, with capable tuning. While some might perfer tuning a FAST since some find it more intuitive, some one that's sharp with a stocker could do the same things.

I like the McDonalds drive thru :biggrin: Since its FAST

Yes a stock chip can do wonders a FAST can never. This is especially true when it comes to lockup converters, timing/fuel changes based on speed/gearing, etc...

Wideband control of the stock ECM is now available. Eric makes a chip, Bob Bailey is releasing the translator pro MAF eliminator.. already with WB correction, I know of an ME-r with WB correction.. lots of technology is happening for the stock computer.

Back