You can type here any text you want

Is the shift I feel normal on a stock TTA ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cottonpicker14

My TTA is original and was shifting softly and at 3100 rpms at WOT. I read the instructions on how to reset the TV cable to factory by pushing in on the brass D bracket and pushing the pedal to the floor to reset it to factory specs.
I did that and it racheted about 2 clicks.
Now it shifts very firm when driving normally and not under WOT. When I drive at a normal speed and push the accelerater pedal about 1/3 or 1/2, it stays in gear and wont shift until around 3500 rpms and shifts hard OR if I take my foot off the gas pedal it will shift before I reach the 3500 rpms. Under WOT it shifts at 4900 rpms and seems to shift quickly and smoothly.
My concern is that driving normally, it stays in gear until 3500 rpms and shifts pretty hard. Just seems like it should be shifting quicker and at lower rpms when driving normally and not at WOT and why does it shift at a lower rpm if I take my foot off the gas pedal.
Is this normal or should I try to readjust the cable to get it to shift at a lower rpm under normal conditions.
Thanks

Absolulty NOT NORMAL: around town normal driving the shifts are quick and realatively soft, like any normal car, at WOT it should be doing a firm 4900-5100 shift on the 1-2.....YOU may have tranny Issues my friend....

Although nothing that 2K at any Reputable Buick Tranny builder can't fix!!

If you got a good deal on this car NOW you might know why....

Ratchet the bracket back again to factory specs and your shifts will be normal again. your tv cable setting sounds like it is too tight. It will shift at a higher rpm if the adjustment is set incorrectly like you are experencing.

Your soft shifts are not an issue at this time. If it flares at WOT, then you are going to have problems. simply change fluid ,filter and inspect them.Plan on having to rebuild it in the future if you are going to race the car. 2k is on the high side...but if you want to race, you have to pay!

Bo

TT/Ameasap said:
2k is on the high side...but if you want to race, you have to pay!

Bo

I wish 2k was on the high side. My last tranny on JD's car I had 2k just in parts. Plus converter. Plus labor...

There is no reason why this guy sould put 2k in his tranny and not race it....If he races it, then we all know 2k is nothing for rebuild ,labor,and converter. Sounds like he just wants to get it shifting well again.

Point is a good builder is going to charge anywhere from 1200-1600 for a mild buildup plus converter and labor for R&R

2000 is not on the high side.

Word of advice.. better have someone in the Buick 2004r industry do your tranny or else. Spend it now.. or spend double latter.

try an Art Carr shift kit . "Mikey's" tranny was a little sloppy and I put one in and it lasted another 30k of beating's :eek: I have done this in a lot of TTAs :rolleyes: :p

Art Carr kit I recently put in my kicks a$$, I thought my tranny was going Bye-Bye, ok now :D

About the Art Carr kit
1. What is involved in installing it
2. Can any tranny repair shop install it or do I have to find someone who knows 2004r trannys
3. What is the site to get it from
4. How does it change the stock setup as far as improvements
Thanks

get the kit from AC in Kalifornia .... California Performance Transmissions I think is his new name :cool: very easy to install . :p

While your there might as well get the Art Carr deeper trans pan that allows you to use the 700R filter, especially if you plan on racing it. It will keep the pump from cavitating saving your clutches and bands for a while.

ummmm have you used a deep pan on a TTA ????? I did for one day :eek: I would not recommend it ... welll we have crappy roads :eek:

Grumpy said:
ummmm have you used a deep pan on a TTA ????? I did for one day :eek: I would not recommend it ... welll we have crappy roads :eek:

Yep, been in the car for over a year. It's 1 3/8" lower than the stock pan, which still leaves it 1/2" above the exhaust at the flex pipe. I'm not saying you don't have to be aware of it, but it isn't like you can take speed bumps at 10 mph in these cars anyway. :biggrin:

Shift kits

Grumpy said:
try an Art Carr shift kit . "Mikey's" tranny was a little sloppy and I put one in and it lasted another 30k of beating's :eek: I have done this in a lot of TTAs :rolleyes: :p
Hi,
I agree, it can't hurt to bump the pressures up ,possibly the unit will get it's stuff together, providing long service. It depends on how good the condition of the trans was initially.
I went through 2 transmissions in a couple of weeks , both admittedly badly abused, after I finished the swap into my '83 regal. This is no high hp screamer, just pretty adequate for daily blasting of nasty things like wrx's and an occasional old Mustang, etc. Anyway, I was short of cash, so I opted for a junkyard tranny. A friend of mine owns a salvage yard, let me pick through his pile. I found a diamond in the rough, so to speak. A fresh rebuild with recent torque converter o/h cost me $100. I took it home, put a B&M shift kit in it and installed a cooler.Since then,this trans has never let me down. I put a red stripe converter in it , courtesy of Mr. Kurtz, hung a few more power adding pieces on , and it still is holding up. I guess it's about time this story comes to an end, but my point is that you can get a lot of bang out of a little expenditure. With racing, of course, all bets are off! For street use, you can pull off a bunch of stuff! It's fun,huh?

Back