You can type here any text you want

Is this the right choice to start with?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

oddiesGN

I've been having trouble with what I wanted to do and what should be done either first, last, or not at all. My goals are probably no more then 500 horse power or in the mid to low 11's. Will drive 3 times a week. Some out of town driving, 1 or 2 times a month to the track if I have the time to. Really don't want to stop using E85, don't want to use alky or go with a bigger turbo since it is new already, like to stay around 22# boost, (might go little higher boost, just don't want to get close to head gaskets blowing). Want the car to keep the respect that people have for Grand Nationals. Engine has been rebuilt back to all stock, only has 1800 miles on it.

I have about $3000 to spend and no matter what I have to get a new converter. I just got a new stage one transmission and when I took out the converter I found out it is not the D5. It has 6's or 9's stamped all around it and has a GM15 H stamped on one side and 6399 stamped on the other. Never did seem to stall, but never had a stall before so I wouldn't really know what to look for. Did have bad turbo lag, I think my 60' time was around 2.5 or so. Found PTC 10" 2800 LU for close to $600. Look at my signature for what I have as of now.

Here is what I decided to go with:
Champion iron heads
Revolution X roller cam kit (either the 206/210 or the 210/215 both with .516 lift, would like some help picking cam)
1.55 roller rockers (don't know what brand yet or can the stock ones work with the lift)
PTC 10" 2800 LU

The other stuff I was wanting to get are:
Power logger
High performance coil w/ 8.8 wires
Bigger intercooler
Champion stock ported intake
Power plate
Bigger throttle body
Heavy duty actuator
Air bag
Pinion snubber

The reason I decided to go with the heads and cam first is since the engine is out anyways, that would be the easiest thing to do because I can buy all the other stuff little at a time and won't have to tear down the engine while its in the car.

Unless everyone thinks my goals can be reached without the heads, cam or both, then I can spend money on other stuff to help out. I know that I can have my heads and intake ported, but I don't really know or trust anyone that can do it or atleast do it right. Don't even know what that would cost to have done.

So if anyone could please chime in and give me your thoughts on what should be the best route and what they think I can achieve with the parts and how close I'am to my goals. Thanks.

I have about $3000 to spend

Here is what I decided to go with:
Champion iron heads
Revolution X roller cam kit (either the 206/210 or the 210/215 both with .516 lift, would like some help picking cam)
1.55 roller rockers (don't know what brand yet or can the stock ones work with the lift)
PTC 10" 2800 LU

This stuff right here I would think is over $3000

If youre not going to go with more turbo and run more boost i wouldnt bother with heads, cam, intake, etc. You can maximize that turbo very easily on E85. You will need more injector to get the most out of what you already have. There is little chance of detonation with E85 in your application. I wouldnt be worried about head gaskets or other detonation related problems with E85. You shold rethink your combo and go with more turbo if you plan on doing heads and cam and go with a 9.5" PTC NL. Youre biggest challenge will be the fuel system.

I have to agree with Bison. For your goals the only work I would do to the engine is replace the valve springs if they are still stock. The secret to make it fast is......let it eat (fuel system), let it **** (exhaust and dp), let it think (chip), breath (air intake). Monitor all this with a scan mater (min.) or get a data logger and wideband (better).

If youre not going to go with more turbo and run more boost i wouldnt bother with heads, cam, intake, etc. You can maximize that turbo very easily on E85. You will need more injector to get the most out of what you already have. There is little chance of detonation with E85 in your application. I wouldnt be worried about head gaskets or other detonation related problems with E85. You shold rethink your combo and go with more turbo if you plan on doing heads and cam and go with a 9.5" PTC NL. Youre biggest challenge will be the fuel system.

So I need to run bigger injectors and turbo to meet my goals or can I get that with what I have? I have no problem with more boost, just don't want to be changing head gaskets all the time. If I can't get there with the turbo I have now, what is the next size turbo needed to reach my goals. What size injectors do I need and do I have to change my computer for bigger ones. So if I get heads and cam, it won't help me much at all?

So I need to run bigger injectors and turbo to meet my goals or can I get that with what I have? I have no problem with more boost, just don't want to be changing head gaskets all the time. If I can't get there with the turbo I have now, what is the next size turbo needed to reach my goals. What size injectors do I need and do I have to change my computer for bigger ones. So if I get heads and cam, it won't help me much at all?
80 lb/hr will cover you. No m

80 lb/hr will cover you. No mods to the drivers. With a 9.5" converter and s 6262 you will have a much stronger combo with the heads and cam you are planning on using. The 49 will be over sped to make the power you need and the turbine will have a lot of backpressure. It can be done but it will need a lot more boost and less rear gear with a really good converter to get the most out of the small turbine. The 6262 will be a better choice if you do a converter. I'd do the 6262/9.5" before I did anything else except the fuel system. Boost does not break engines. Detonation does. It's unlikely there will be detonation under 35psi on your combo with e85.

I'd do the 6262/9.5" before I did anything else except the fuel system. Boost does not break engines. Detonation does. It's unlikely there will be detonation under 35psi on your combo with e85.

If I run that much boost wouldn't a better intercooler be in store to help keep down detonation? If I just go with this combo to start with for now the 6262 and 9.5" stall, what do you think my hp and 1/4 mile times will be? What would be the next thing to get with the turbo and stall, the roller cam or champion iron heads. I think I might be able to afford the cam also, need to check budget.

Will I have to change my fuel pump? When I had my transmission built I think its setup for a LU converter, but not sure thats what I have to use. When do I need to get the power logger or do I even need it yet? Thanks for all the help.

I don't know how much of a difference this will make, but most of my racing will be in the 1/8 mile not the 1/4 mile. The 1/8 mile track is much closer so that will be the one I will go to the most. I would rather have more setup for the 1/8, but not sacrafice my highway driving since I will take it on the highway 200 mile round trips two to three times a month. Will I gain anything by changing from 3.42 to 3.73 gear to help with the 1/8 and still have good highway rpms or should I go lower?

Also, what needs to be done to max out the ta49, since I read in another post that you can get more out of the smaller turbo in the 1/8 mile then you can with the bigger turbos unless you really have some big dollar stuff. So is bigger more for the 1/4? Will the bigger turbo really help me that much in the 1/8 mile?

Back