You can type here any text you want

Its time for new gears,stock or change?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WARBIRD1989

I was thinking about 3.55 or 3.73, is this to much or is higher better?like 3.08 or 3.25 or something, i run 11.98 with the stock rear and 3500 stall.

I think everything that I have read about people going with any gear ratio other than stock that they actually lost time.

set of 3.70's and a 31 inch tall tire rocks :wink:

Someday i'll change out my 3.25's.. :rolleyes:

Razor said:
set of 3.70's and a 31 inch tall tire rocks :wink:

Someday i'll change out my 3.25's.. :rolleyes:

yeah that's true, the only time I could see raising the gear ratio is with a taller tire to keep the overall ratio approximatley the same.

WARBIRD1989 said:
I was thinking about 3.55 or 3.73, is this to much or is higher better?like 3.08 or 3.25 or something, i run 11.98 with the stock rear and 3500 stall.
Keep the stock rear until it blows. Then do an upgrade like Razor has. I hear the Currie 9" is indestructable.

Jason

Currie 9?????????? were do I find one, and what is the stock rear?? 3.45 i think?? and size 8.5 or something?

So no one thinks higher gears will make you go faster. I run 255 50 16, a little bit more gear or not???

WARBIRD1989 said:
Currie 9?????????? were do I find one, and what is the stock rear?? 3.45 i think?? and size 8.5 or something?

So no one thinks higher gears will make you go faster. I run 255 50 16, a little bit more gear or not???
The stock rear end is a 3.27:1 Borg-Warner "Australian" rear.

Jason

WARBIRD1989 said:

If you're running in the high 11s just leave the stock rear end alone, it'll be just fine until around low 11s I believe is where people start running into some problems. If you're having problems with the rear end and you want to upgrade I would either go to the 9" or a Dana 60 (I don't know if they have 3rd gen widths available yet but they have all the F-body mounts and everything on the casing for th 4th gens it just needs to be I think we decied on 2" narrower on each side).

So if I just like to redo the stock rear who sells parts? I cant fine anyone who sells parts for the Borg-Warner "Australian" rear

WARBIRD1989 said:
So if I just like to redo the stock rear who sells parts? I cant fine anyone who sells parts for the Borg-Warner "Australian" rear

The stock TTA rear end is listed in the Strange catalog as a 9 bolt GM 7.75". Go here: http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/index.html and look for the "Gear sets and installation kits" section, then click the link to page 28. That said, I wouldn't rebuild or change gears in the 9 bolt because it's just not strong enough, and you'll be throwing money away in the long run. If it's not broke or whinning, don't mess with it. Once it breaks or starts whinning, replace it with a Ford 9", GM 12 bolt, or Dana 60. Strange has the Dana 60 (called an S60) that's a bolt in for the TTA, but it's not in their catalog yet. You would have to call them...

You don't want to change the gears in these cars to a 3:55 or 3:73 unless you want to slow down. I know this because when I was running 11.1 I installed a 9 inch rear with a 3:70 gear. The car went 11.3 to 11.4 range. I went backwards (extremely) to a 3:00 gear and went 11.1 again, but do what you want. The only way a 3:55 gear might work for you is with a tall tire (31 inch) and you would probably need to run at least into the 10 second range.

Well I like to keep things somewhat stock an such a rare car,so no fords parts will be going on my Tta. The only gears made for the stock unit that I could find are 3.70 by usgear.com, I will let you all know if I go slower or not???
I hope I dont lose my top end, I had her up to 158mph on the gps. but I did't like the high rpm's. she was turning 5k from 95mph up to 150 the hole time. High Stall.....

WARBIRD1989 said:
Well I like to keep things somewhat stock an such a rare car,so no fords parts will be going on my Tta. The only gears made for the stock unit that I could find are 3.70 by usgear.com, I will let you all know if I go slower or not???
I hope I dont lose my top end, I had her up to 158mph on the gps. but I did't like the high rpm's. she was turning 5k from 95mph up to 150 the hole time. High Stall.....
So your keeping the stock housing yet putting 3.70 gears in? Or is this another 9"? :confused:

JAson

WARBIRD1989 said:

What about your speedo then being way off affecting TQ converter lockup?

What about the Posi currently in your rear end?

What about the crush sleeve and bearings?

Put in a 12 bolt with 3.23's if your goal is to keep it GM. ;)

Back