You can type here any text you want

i've about had it

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ryan319

well, new roller motor. has 89 miles on it. some may know, i posted a few days back about some smoke and other things. turns out that was just break in stuff and too thick of break in oil.

car seemed to be running great. i could just roll into the gas and it would rip the tires off but i haven't taken it above 15psi or 4500 rpm. scanmaster numbers were all good. good oil pressure. got the temp steady at 170.

on my way home today i was running it a little. then, at the next red light. i noticed it was tapping. pulled over and got a good listen. something in the top of the motor....still has 25 hot idle oil. i had the car towed just to be safe. i just got to look at it and it looks like it collaped a lifter on #2. the noise was prevalent on that side so i checked there first. the pushrod was just flopping around and weak oil there. i assume it's the lifter. the pushrod isn't bent. and it's not a FT cam so it didn't wipe. i have stock rockers with heavy duty shafts. ported irons with manley valves and valve springs from the roller kit.

what would cause a lifter to fail after 89 miles? bad luck? too much preload (thought it was around .035)? oh, they're comp lifters from a conversion kit.

could the lifter be stuck? it has a lot of lash.

the spings look ok and the install height was checked.

could the lifter be stuck? it has a lot of lash.

the spings look ok and the install height was checked.

I had a flat tappet lifter stick down once.On a fresh rebuild too.Scared hell out of me.Replaced it and all was ok.Could be lifter.May have got something in it.Is the pushrod still loose after the engine is off.If the the valve is closed and the rods not bent then it has to be the lifter or lobe.

I had a flat tappet lifter stick down once.On a fresh rebuild too.Scared hell out of me.Replaced it and all was ok.Could be lifter.May have got something in it.Is the pushrod still loose after the engine is off.If the the valve is closed and the rods not bent then it has to be the lifter or lobe.
Dont give up dude its the comp lifters they suck from everything ive read on here especially since they are noisy and settin off knock detectors a guy on here actually contacted morel and had some made for us all.. ta performance sells them and they are like $100 cheaper than comps also, search morel lifters youll find the thread..Jack Cotton even said that he had to take multiple kits to come up with 12 good comp roller lifters on some occasions due to the same prob you are having..I have no personal experience im just tellin you what ive read on here..good luck:cool:

THROW those piece of S-IT Comp. lifters away and buy MORELS. Iv'e fought those JUNK lifters on and off for 5 years and have LOTS of horror stories I can tell about them. Plain and simple they are JUNK.!!!!!

THROW those piece of S-IT Comp. lifters away and buy MORELS. Iv'e fought those JUNK lifters on and off for 5 years and have LOTS of horror stories I can tell about them. Plain and simple they are JUNK.!!!!!

what kind of problems did you have?

I think its hit & miss situation with them as I have a set & 2 seaons & very quiet on a 210-215 roller cam. Guess I was lucky as they are very quiet.

i have the same cam and it was nice and quiet until last night.

should i try marvel oil, or spraying cleaner down the pushrod before i pull the intake?

yep, it's the lifter. plunger went down and never came back up. how much travel do the comp 883 lifters have?

i'm going to soak it in mineral spirits to see if it comes free.

I have comps, mine are quiet and haven't given me any problems. I wouldn't pull my top end apart to replace them.

There was a real good article in the latest GSXtra about this.

x2 lol, I have stories i can tell you about that junk.

can you elaborate?

Some comp lifters sourced to Johnson/Hi Lift had sharp edges in the in the plunger assembly causing the lifter to stick in the lower position. Usually failed within 500 miles of installation.

Some comp lifters sourced to Johnson/Hi Lift had sharp edges in the in the plunger assembly causing the lifter to stick in the lower position. Usually failed within 500 miles of installation.

thanks, sounds like that is the case here. i guess i'll be sending them back on monday.

full throttle warrantied the bad lifter and i got the car buttoned up last night. all seems fine so far. now if it would only quit raining for a few days i can finally get some miles on this motor and see what this car can do.

Yeah!

Glad to hear you got the lifter taken care of. Definitely want to see the car pal! You should bring it to the Norwin show on Saturday!

I have Comp hyd rollers in mine...

I think I'm 'gonna swap in a set of the Morels just to avoid future headaches.

I noticed when I ran the oil pump primer with no valvetrain (lifters only)... all the lifters filled with oil and had plenty of oil supply when rotating the motor... A few minutes after priming the motor, a few of the lifters bled down to the point they looked like they never had oil in them. I suspect these same lifters will give me trouble if I leave them in the motor.

Guess I am just lucky as its now 2 seasons without any issues? I do use about 1/3 bottle of MMO with them? Doubt it helps much but so far I'm happy.

Back