You can type here any text you want

I've Had It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trading t/a

I'm Angry!!!!!
2nd blown head gasket. I'm done! The car is now up for sale as is(with the blown hg).

Mods on the car are Turbonetics cheetah stageIII 60-1(.63 housing/no shaftplay),K&N filter,afpr,electric cutout,Flowmaster catback,gauges,scanmaster,fp gauge(on rail).Orange stripe converter(less than 50 miles on it),Nitto drag radials(less than 150 miles on them),plenum spacer,heads are port matched to intake,driver's side header has been fully welded around flange

What I have coming for the car. ARP head bolt kit,breather for the driver's side vc,trans filter and gasket. Haven't gotten the head gasket yet or the intake gasket.

What will be taken off the car. MSD 50's(unless really wanted $)(less than 300 miles on them),Extender chip,translator+ and LT1 maf.

Inside is in very good condition, no rips or tears, outside has a few blemishes(right rear bumper has been touched up, small mark on hood. It has 73K on it. Still runs and idles fine, didn't blow near the water jackets(#3). Can't tell unless hitting the gas, smoke comes out the breather). It cleans up very nice.

$8500 OBO No insults please! I'll strip it completely and sell the parts to hit my sales target before I let it go for cheap(within reason).

PK548@AOL.COM 201-206-4526 (PETE)

That really sucks man I am sorry to hear that your having trubles again, good luck sellikg it and how much you want for the translator + and maf?

Friend has the lead on them. For the right price It may be with the car. I'm learning to hate this car quick. First the injectors were to small(blown hg). Now the solenoid went out and it boosted very high a few times which prolly caused it to go again. I'm just done with it .

GODDAMN Buick p.o.s. The last thing on my mind is that car. It's making Fords look like a viable option. I'll prolly end up fixing it as usual Shawn(against my will). Don't even know if i'll get it to the garage to fix(far journey for a car with a blown hg)

Yeah those defective head gaskets are notorious to the Buick community. I wont even go to the "prep" involved in installing those..

Put it back to stock and learn to tune at 16 PSI before experimenting with any higher boost levels... yeah yeah I know..

Its not the car..its not the car..its not the car..

Overboost anything..it will blow like a saturn rocket..

Hey....Thats what they make trailers for.....Just get your parts together,We can get set on a date,And I will cruise up to you and throw it on the trailer...;)

How do you think I felt when I spun a bearing...To then Find out that my cam was shot...And my timing chain was about to grenade....I needed a crank...and 1 rod....

Then,to finally get it all together...and Blow a headgasket in 2 days......(Actually one of those faulty gaskets for real)!!!

I was about to throw in the towel on it completely...I hated my car!!!!:mad:

But now all is well again...:D ..The car is running strong as hell,Even @ a measly 15psi...

And plus,You cant get rid of it...IF you get something else...You will be pisssssed as hell when you see the little white birdie waving BYE-BYE to you.....:p

Thanx for the pep talk Guys! 16 psi **** I'd like to be able to be consistent with 16 psi. Sometimes it's 16,18,28,24,23,etc. Got it back together the first time, running good solenoid goes out it boosted all over the scale. Well there isn't to many more things to change to keep it from giving up the guts. The deltagate should be here soon, at least that'll keep it from boosting like a mad man.

The old phrase goes tuning a turbo Buick will make a man or a woman out of you! Give me my DRESS please

Pete, If you deside to fix it and keep it and want someone to fix wright, Call me or come down and see my operation. I have 4 TTAs here now. My customers cars run 20lbs on the track 18lbs on the street.
You tell me how fast you want to go. I'll tell you what you need.

Steve Kaminski
Turbo High Performance
856-881-3235

It's not that it wasn't fixed correctly the first time. Something else breaks which causes another problem. This time it was the solenoid going letting it boost way to high creating damage to the same side of the engine.

If nobody makes an offer soon, and the parts that are on order for the repair get here I'll end up ripping off the heads and doing he hg's. This time with arp bolts instead of the tty's.

I know it was done right cause the first t&t at the track is ran very rich on 100 octane at 24-25 psi. I know it was holding boost with no knock. Then the solenoid went and it shot past 28psi causing the problem.

I'll definately contact you about tips and maybe tuning if I get that far. Thanx for the offer, Steve.

Pete

Why do you run the vacuum control through the solonoid ??? Mine is totally by-passed and is really really adjustable.
Don't sell the damn thing, fix it..
If you sell it, I will miss all of your stuff on this site. We have a shop here in the S/E michigan area that specializes in these cars and is one of the best in the country in making them run.Before you sell it please send me a P/M with a phone number where I can reach you and I will hook you up with him... Turbota.

Originally posted by trading t/a
It's not that it wasn't fixed correctly the first time. Something else breaks which causes another problem. This time it was the solenoid going letting it boost way to high creating damage to the same side of the engine.

Pete

This is the first time I ever heard a wastegate selenoid going bad..this is a first in the history of turbo buick...really..

Ive seen a lot of things go bad. This is a very first for me..better be certain of your accusing that little selenoid for your woes..

TurboTA..ya know I respect ya..but that selenoid is there to save you in case of detonation...this is the only means of the ecm to bring boost down..

Now I have seen where people play with air bleeders and pop their headgaskets..plenty O'times :rolleyes:

Factory setup with factory WG bleeder and correct chip program to pull boost out in third/fourth is hard to beat.. GM did it for a reason..

Can I say told you so.:D
(This time with arp bolts instead of the tty's)
Keep your car!!!!! Trust me you'll miss it like I do mine!
Is it possible you got some dirt in the solenoid or Y.Don't here of too many going bad just getting clogged up.Good luck.;)

P.S.When you think about having to go back in makes you disgusted.But overall these cars are best dollar for torque you can get.When you get it right it's the best feeling in the whole wide world!

Pete, don't sell it man...seriously. All the work that went into my swap went to **** after I broke the motor(haven't ripped the motor out yet...going to in a few weeks.) and I was VERY VERY VERY close to parting it. Seems like you have a few offers of help, take them. Also listen to Steve, I'd say Steve knows a thing or 2 about the turbo buicks lol

Take a break from the car, don't even look at it for a few weeks, calm down and take another crack at it.

Well there isn't many other things that could boost it like that. when it was connected and the rod all the way out it shot to 28psi. Disconnected it and it went to 12. Replaced all the hoses with exact size replacement hd vaccum line, plugged it in same. I took the orifice out of the equation, hooked the solenoid back up and it still went nuts(not as high 24 psi)

I just got done with an R&R on the deltagate I picked up. It has a 9lb. spring in it and with the bleeder I should be able to have rock solid boost readings now. As it looks there are no offers on the car, but it is still up on the board for a few weeks(wife's b-day this weekend and Vegas next week). If by then there are no qualifying offers, I will rip it down and put new hg's on with the arp bolts and start the tuning process again.

Thanx for the advice guys!

Pete

The WG selenoid is a controlled air leak like the the Y adapter..if it were to be lets say stay open for the sake of argument..your boost would be whatever the rod was set for in first and second...and then increase on third and fourth since load plays a big role on boost..open a cutout and see.

If you cap the filter end..then the boost will be exact rod..since connecting a hose from the compressor to the WG diaphram limits boost this way..spool up will be slow using this method.

I would suspect bad hoses,cracked Y adapter or WG diaphram..last thing would be the bleeder..If it got plugged..your boost would be lower since air from the compressor would be directed to the WG.

HTH.

9 lb spring wont let you regulate correctly..it will be higher boost in third and fourth than 1st and 2nd.

The factory shizit works when the hoses and Y adapter are new..maybe your puck got stuck on the exhuast housing..this Ive seen where someone ported the hell out of the hole and the puck would hang.

No matter..wish ya well with your decisions.

Haven't decided on which way I'm going to set up the wg yet. I can either use the bleeder to bleed off some of the pressure thereby limiting changing how much boost needs to be made before the wg sees the 9lbs.

Or I will use it as a restrictor, putting it in line. Theory is that if the bleeder is closed the wg will see none of the boost and it should boost sky high. By cracking the bleeder open and letting air through it the I can limit the amount of air it sees so it will have to make higher boost to overcome that restriction. I can always put in a stronger spring. The 14lb. spring usually comes on the larger gate(42mm), but I would think a larger spring would work on the 38mm as well. We'll see.

One other question for some of the people who have done their own hg repairs. Most serious engine builders say to tourqe cycle the bolts 5 times. Is this needed to produce the correct clamping force? I'm gonna be using felpro 9441's and ARP bolts. Im used to using the TTY's so any info on this would help. Most likely will rip it apart in two weeks.

Pete

Pete,

You are Matt's friend from DiFeo correct. How many miles are on it?

somewhere around 73 maybe early 74K. Haven't had great luck. Maybe when I fix it this time get the wg on there it'll stay in check enough not to blow

Back