You can type here any text you want

Jay's GN Speaker Upgrade

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BoostMasterK

2 boys now, need more GNs
Looking for any opinions/experience on Jay's GN 6-speaker upgrade. Here's the URL http://www.jaysgn.com/stereo.html#speak6

I haven't found anyone that has heard it and no posts came up in a search. I'm looking to improve the "muddy" sound of the Concert Sound system with no drilling or cutting.

TIA

Mike [:-)

Don't know of anyone running this set-up. I notice they don't list what brand the components are (probably to prevent people from just going out to buy the pieces on their own)

I've bought other items from Jay's in the past & have always gotten good service. If you are simply looking for a good factory style upgrade then this kit is probably wortrh a shot, but IMO re-using the factory head unit with good speakers is kinda shooting yourself in the foot. Why stick with 14 year old technology (not to mention parts that have seen 14 years wroth of use!) it'll never sound as good as updating both the head unit and speakers!!!

Doug C.

Is it really that bad doug? My home stereo receiver is 17 years old and it still puts the music out like it always did. I can see maybe the cassette drive getting worn but I really don't listen to cassettes anymore, just the radio. If/when I do speakers, I'd be using line-level output converters to an external amp.

I don't doubt Jay's service, he seems like a good enough guy. Just that sound is very subjective and what one person thinks is an awesome stereo other people may think is garbage. Case in point, Ricers :D

I'm no stereo elitist, but I know my Buick sounds like crap, my wife's Nissan sounds OK and my Caddy (Bose Gold) sounds awesome. I expect $375 speakers to sound somewhere between OK and awesome :) Ideally I'd like to hear the system for myself but I can't find anyone that bought one :confused:

Oh, and I have an upgraded head unit, that's not a problem.

Thanks,

Mike [:-)

Guys,

For the BUICKS, this IS the best bang for the buck. I bought the kit back in '93 (Yikes 10 yrs ago ((and 3 TR's bacK)) and the difference is sound is like Night & Day.

You young guys have to remember, we keep our FACTORY head units to preserve authenticity!! And besides that, this kit is Plug & Play, with our FACTORY sized 7-1/2" rear speakers its real tough to find a DIRECT PLUG-IN Replacements!

Umm..... factory rear speakers are 4x10"

The Concert II head unit was pretty decent for it's time but time IS NOT a friend to them for sure. 14 years of usage, dust, vibration etc..... tends to cut into the quality of sound they can put out.

As for the whole leave it stock to retain resale value, Phooey just hold onto the stock head unit just in case any future buyer may want it in there. There are several good high quality GM head unit you can swap in that will have that factory look AND the benefit of new technology & fewer "miles" :)

Doug C.

Edit: BTW I am running Cerwin Vega Stealth Series 5 1/4"s in the doors & CW-SS 6x9"s in the rear deck with some 3 1/2" Pioneer's up in the dash. ALL were direct drop in, no mods neccessary other than the 4x10" to 6x9" adapter plates for the rear deck. Total cost for those speakers was around $230....

Doug, the Pioneer 3.5" speakers are not drop in. Maybe you have an older model but the ones I just bought, the tweeter sticks up too high. Don't want someone else to make the same mistake or maybe they have two different 3.5" models, one will work, one wont.

I had the CS 2 system and the sound quality sucks! Music sounds very dull. i bought the car with pioneer 4X10s in the back.

What really woke the whole system up was a pioneer deh-7300 head unit. And you can tweak the settings so well, it sounds like there is a sub box in the trunk from the inside.

The only thing that annoys me now is the treble from those badly positioned dash speakers. Those things peirce the ear!!!
:eek:

Back