You can type here any text you want

JB Weld in the EGR passage

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

I've decided to totally drop my EGR setup and I've already put the Champion heads on with the EGR passage open in the correct position. I'm willing to pull the intake again but I was thinking what about filling the EGR passage with either JB weld or the simular "Quick-Steel" stuff and using that to keep the heat down farther in the intake and away from the block off plate and in my case nearby wiring harness. Any feedback?

I used JB Weld in my EGR ports and its still fine after 4 years.
I first filled the ports with coarse steel wool and put the JB Weld over it. This way it adds some reinforcement and you dont use a ton of it.
I did the same witha spare manifold I have, can post pics if interested.

Wouldn't mind pictures at all. Great idea on the steel wool too. I bet I can stuff it well down the port and try to stop the exhaust low enough to keep the temp down on the intake boss.

JB weld will not hold up against 1600* exhaust temps. If I understand you correctly, you want to plug the passage in your GN1 HEADS, right? Why not just use a freeze plug and tap it into place? I think that Champion just drills a hole into the center exhaust port for an EGR supply. So, either tap the hole for a pipe plug, or tap a freeze plug into it. If you tap it for a plug, stuff pieces of paper towels with grease into the hole first. Then pull the towels out after tapping. You don't want the chips falling into the exhaust port, and possibly into the cylinder IF the valve is open. I vote for a freeze plug. (or a tapered brass/aluminum rod that will wedge into the hole and seal it.)

Champion CNC Iron heads here and I don't really want to pull them off again but I'm not using the EGR now since I have a pre emissions car and it complicates my wiring harness routing. I'm not running a turbo yet, just an NA EFI till I get the complete Champion ported intake, 70mm plenum and TB, and the custom intercooler down the road so I'm trying to keep the modifications down but I don't trust having the blockoff plate with exhaust gas on the back side so close to the plastic wiring harness loom and the wires inside.

All of the factory EGR ports (there are 4 on each head, two in the middle, and one at each end of the head.) are drilled holes and can be plugged with a freeze plug, then filled with JB Weld. I tap the end holes with a long extension tap and use allen bolts to plug the end holes, and use metal rods pressed into the center two BIG holes. (it takes some doing to get it right, though.)
I think that Champion usually fills the EGR ports with molten aluminum, then drills a small EGR hole through it. Call Champion and ask them if that's case with your heads. If so, just tap an aluminum taper pin into the hole, and your golden.

I misread the post I thought you were talking about the EGR passages in the intake!
I tapped my passages w/ 14.0 x 2.0 metric and put a steel bolt in, cut it and ground it down. Then the intake side of the heads were milled smooth.

Back