You can type here any text you want

Just another wiring question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

sawmillman

Make logs into lumber
Ok got the motor just about ready to set in the car and was looking at the fuse block on the monte ss and the buick gn (both are 86 models ) they look almost the same I know that they will plug in to each other but what will I have to add to the wiring to get this thing running? Btw I have the dash wiring from the gn.also will the gauges work in the monte by just plugging it in or will I have to play chase the wire down?have some more questions later.thanks in advanced for the help.:confused:

See this one below; should answer most of your questions. Also, I believe there are a few guys on here with Monte Carlo SS with GN transplants. I think the main thing they had to do was add power to the injectors and fuel pump. I will see my notes later and see what else they had to swap around in the fusebox.
If you have the dash wiring with the fusebox and use the GN dash you should just have to plug and play.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/hybrids/239936-83-oldsmobile-cutlass-cruiser-wagon.html

though about using the buick dash but I would like to keep the monte dash just becouse it looks more original and I like them better :D.

In that case, I would just use the Monte harness and see what pins you need to change at the fuse box. I did it both ways with my Cutlass. It worked fine and was less work using the Cutlass harness. I opened up the GN harness and had to pull the dash to get to all the harness anyway.
Use the Monte dash harness you will have a lot less headaches.

I'd agree with Olds... Keep the dash harness in the Monty. All the gauge hook up wires will come out (like most GM's) on the Drivers side. Most are all the same color codes for the gauges. You'll just need to use the Monty sensors. Coolant sensor.. feeds coolant wire (green) Oil press. (tan/white) Tac (white) Which will need converted to 6cyl. instead of 8. Caspers might have a convter for that...? Or a way to knock it down to 6pulses.
The GN didn't come with $hit for gauges so that's why I'm saying to use the monty sending units since SS's came with real gauges instead of idiot lights.
The pink and black wires on your GN engine harness need hot while cranking/ignition on. Black/white or black all need grounded.
There's more I could help with if I had a schematic or wire diagram. I do these conversions all the time. Love every min. of it :)
Let me know if you need a hand.
~Scott

Back