Just finished my new system (YEAH RIGHT!!!)

orion

Just incase anyone hasn't seen this yet. I belive it's one of the highest performance, most expensive system to see the interior of one of these cars. Check out the 12" driver location! ingenious!!

Umm, how we supposed to see it???

Also, highest performance, most expensive is a pretty rash thing to say...i mean with Speakerworks/Richard Clarks GN, Tim Ballie's GN, Gary Bigg's Regal and such....

Wow that's cool. I'm envisioning the 12" sub right under the driver's seat. Who needs a vasectomy when you're steryl??

All due respect but, what is the big deal about this car? I realize that it was the best of the best and a ground breaker in its day but, time and technology have passed it WAY by...

I have always believed the car was retired because of the fear of getting beat. Quit while you're on top, ya know?

The Holdaways were/are true innovators and I have the highest respect and admiration for them...believe me, by todays standards, this car would be lucky to place in the top ten at finals.

Are you refering to the Buick grand national in general? or this specific car with the audio modifications? if you're refering to the alpine project, sure it's not up to date, but by comparison to other stereos installed in these cars, it's pretty sweet. I wanted to show people the location of those 12" drivers too, i thought that was really creative. I emailed the guy and he said the plans and/or boxes are available for purchasing too, if anyone is interested

Well zam, its hard to say since the car is in pieces now. But people who heard it a long time ago still praise it as one of, if not the best sounding cars they ever heard (who still compete or judge today). Now by todays rules it may not win, but based on SQ alone, I bet it would still be at the top ....it would get killed in SPL though....I think it barely got 130's.

Overall SQ of car stereo equipment hasn't really improved THAT much (just got things to get louder, smaller, put out more power, more efficient etc). Remember, its also 90% install and 10% equipment that determines how good or how loud a system is. :)

orion NOT the car! I love these things. I'm talking about the system/install.
I agree, there are few high end systems in the G bodys. As far as the 12's in the 1/4s, nice idea BUT, not optimum. (I did 4 10s the same way and had nothing but bad phasing problems)

mcss383: I listened to this car in its prime and I must say it was no where near what everyone said it was. It did sound good but, Overall the tone was thin, image was low and it lacked "life". I wasn't all that impressed.

I personally think intimidation had alot to do with the fantastic scores it received. Who wanted to be the first judge to score it bad?

I don't mean to be all negative about it. It was A, if not THE major influence on car audio as we know it today. I hold this car in high regards as well but, all in all, it is what it is. Let's not forget the originators.

How true on the 90-10 rule...I lived by it for 15 years.;)

Soon I'm beginning my own install in my TR (gotta finish the paint first). It will be aimed towards the high end SQ only end of things.
I've gotta admit, these cars are tough.

Trunk kit

Whats the best material for a trunk kit, short of calling IMMspecialties? there must be a cheaper way. I know Autozone sells the carpeting. thanks!

Depending on what you are looking for, you may be able to find something at a home improvement store. I found the carpet for my waGoN at Lowes. Home Depot was out of it. I bought enough to do the back of the waGoN twice with extra to spare, and it only cost me about $40. That is alot of carpet, and the quality is real good. It has a rubber backing.

Brian

Trunk kit

But what about the cardboard type material that the carpet gets glued to?

Hmmm, good question. I hadn't thought of that. I think you could probably use something like press board. I think that is what it is called. I've never actually seen a fully done trunk kit. At least not out of the car, so I don't know what is used. You would have to be creative if you want to match the curved parts of the kit, though.

Brian