You can type here any text you want

Just got car running, want some incar advise

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blueracer1969

Im in Belleville il, just got my car running yesterday, lookin for someone with experience with these cars near here to help me iron out some glitches,. im getting brainfry here trying to tune this. Anyone with extensive knowledge of there cars near here please help me, lol

Mike Christiansen at G&M Automotive 314/892-7441 (South County) or Bill Diekmann 636/677-1966 (High Ridge).

Both of those guys are super cool, definitely recommend those guys. I know there are some people over there in Illinois too, not sure where though..

Diekman and Mike would be about an hour and a half drive for you from Bellville.

Ive been to Diekmans, hes about 45 min from me, not sure where Mike is, he might be closer. Ive been playing with it all week, its getting better, i just have a lot to learn still about tuning this car. I read alot on here. I had a water leak which looked like it was coming from between the head and block. I didnt want to drive it much, but i think it stopped. Im running Cometic head gaskets, looks like this is not uncommon. Im still debating on changing head gaskets before i make a trip across the river. I just took a drive, it got up to 190 degrees and no leak, so im not sure what to think. Thats the hottest its been. It seems to be slipping excessively shifting into 3rd also, 106000 miles, might need tranny work also. So im staying close to home for now. Ill be playing with it this weekend.

Becareful the water isn't going into the pan! Been there with Fel Pro 1000s and GN1s. Never had a problem yet with Cometics. What did you torque em to?

Im not sure what the torque was, gotta talk to my engine builder. Theres no water in the oil, ive been keeping an eye on that, and it hasnt been leaking anywhere else all week. Ive got about 30 miles on the engine so far. Was thinkin about retorquing the heads, but it seems to have quit leaking. I have head studs also, im sure he went by the specs from Champion. Ill be talking to him this weekend.

The torque Champ recommends hasn't worked for me. I go to 85-90 ft/lbs all the way around. Couple seal tabs in the radiator wouldn't hurt you either. Good luck.

Back