You can type here any text you want

Kill 2 birds with 1 stone?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
I was a nice sunny X-mas day in Texas. Driving around to listen to the new stereo system, so I go S-L-O-W to see if I get to listen to all the songs on the MP3 compatible CD player. The car is running the best it ever has and I have the boost "dialed in" at 10PSI.;)

Anyway, the GF and I are driving around in the nice weather, minding our own, cranking some tunes.
We end up at a light, 4 lanes wide and what do we have here? A Mustang GT on the left, a Mitsibushi 3000GT on the right. The 3000GT looks a few times over and starts reving his engine. I look over and laugh as in “Are you crazy?”. The mustang hears the 3000GT reving and starts as well. BOTH start reving their engine at the same time looking at me. I smile and shake my head as in a very surprised “Oh no” kind of way. I am however thinking; “Two kills at one time”?

Since I “used to race” when I was much younger, my adrenaline starts to flow, but I am MUCH older and wiser now (No really). In addition, my 10PSI HA is no match for these guys.

The GF is sitting there and talking smack to both of them, with hand signals like; "You want a piece of this"? ........ the light jumps to green. Unsure of myself and the car, I take off “grandpa style” with no intentions to run, but what do you know? The 3000GT takes off and I hear his tires squeal across the “white painted stripes” on the road. The mustang follows! DARN! When my front bumper is at the back bumper of the 3000GT, my “youth thinking” takes over. I nail it from about 5 mph, "win or loose". I am Thinking; "I am not going to make this one" as my heart is pumping “peanut butter”.

By the end of the first gear, my bumper is at the 3000GT’s door. The mustang is 2 cars back. The car shifts into second and we are even. I start walking him for about 1½ car length and slow down with my brakes as I realize at this time I am going a bit too fast for my own health and taste. :D The 3000GT comes up next to me and gives me a “Thumbs up” (I think he thought the car was and IC’d car ……… LOL!!!). The Mustang does a “fly by” and (according to the GF) has this P**** off look on his face! He takes off, turns left, never to be seen again.

I have to be honest, I never thought I had a chance against either one, with 2 people in the GN, a full tank of gas and 10 PSI boost. I guess I am starting to understand the power of the dark side. :rolleyes:

Nice....and sweet looking Hotair car also :cool: That thing is pretty damn clean looking.

Great kills Jerry!

Just be careful, us Hotair guys have a "SLOOOOW" reputation that we need to maintain ;)

That is a great looking Hotair, great looking interior too! Before I bought my '87 I didn't even know that the '84s and '85s were not intercooled:o

That is a great looking Hotair, great looking interior too! Before I bought my '87 I didn't even know that the '84s and '85s were not intercooled:o

Thanks for the compliments ............ Before I got the 84, I did not know they ware not IC'd either.
But that is too little too late. :biggrin:

Nice....and sweet looking Hotair car also :cool: That thing is pretty damn clean looking.

Thanks.
I am really permorming a restoration with some "Hot Sauce". :biggrin:

So, today, the GF is driving around and some “dude” in a new Mustang GT wants some "sauce". He comes up next to her at the light and points directly to the GN, laughing out loud and reving his engine. (I think it :mad: her off!) . While noting his sarcasm, she notices the window sticker (new GT). So she signals the "dude"....... “Ok, you are on” (Win or loose she thinks). Interestingly enough, this week I was explaining the Power brake technique.

So she brake boosted a little (Still 0 boost) and floored it. Side by side through first gear .......... But wait, the GN shifts into second, and, "dude" falls back to the rear bumper ……. Starts pulling him about 1.5 car length. GN shifts into third and he can be seen in the rear view mirror. :cool:

At the next light, he does not pull up but stays back about at the rear bumper. Guess he got his little feelings hurt ;) . Seems like some “dude” always wants to run her in the GN.

These kills probably do not mean much or anything for most of you “fast guys and gals” out there, but this is a HA, 10 PSI, 18deg, 93 octane.

The neat thing is that SHE is now starting to understand the power of the dark side, and she is now more excited about the performance aspect of it.. :biggrin:

What mods does your car have? Seems like it runs great for a HA no less.

Jason

What mods does your car have? Seems like it runs great for a HA no less.
Jason

The usual mods ..... LOL
212/212, TA33, ported "EVERYTHING" stuff, 50#, 3"DP/Catback w Magnaflow, TT, 2800 10" LU. So Basically, stock. :smile:

so just "212/212, TA33, ported "EVERYTHING" stuff, 50#, 3"DP/Catback w Magnaflow, TT, 2800 10" LU" with ten pounds, and that car beat the new mustang and a 3000 gt? wow, thats outstanding. whats ported in your car? do the HA's use an exhaust elbow like our ICed's do? If so, does the HA's new DP replace it like ours? what sort of cat are you running? And if you tune the alchohol kit and get it runnin, will that allow you to double the boost? and lastly, do you plan (if you can) on advancing the timing when you get the alky ready to run?

With the way it is now, whats it run in the quarter ya think?

so just "212/212, TA33, ported "EVERYTHING" stuff, 50#, 3"DP/Catback w Magnaflow, TT, 2800 10" LU" with ten pounds, and that car beat the new mustang and a 3000 gt? wow, thats outstanding. whats ported in your car? ………… do the HA's use an exhaust elbow like our ICed's do?

Well, where do I start ………
(It has been a LOOOONG road)
The HA’s use the elbow like the IC”d cars but I was lucky and landed a 3” Mease integral. (Yes, the AC works! :cool: )
CAT is a 3” high flow. Porting includes but not limited to: TB, intake, heads, headers, turbo, etc

And if you tune the alchohol kit and get it runnin, will that allow you to double the boost?
There are many bothers and sisters in the HA section who successfully run 20+ boost on alky.
PAC availability is one of the GREATEST things since “sliced bread” for the HA.
The “HA experts” who have gone before me set the stage and I am just trying to duplicate what they have forgotten.

…………. and lastly, do you plan (if you can) on advancing the timing when you get the alky ready to run?
The HA’s (in general) prefer lower timing chips and I am not (for now) looking at increasing timing.
The final timing really depends on future findings, such as AF and EGT. At that point I will review and balance between timing/boost/EGT.
This would take methodical track tuning.

……With the way it is now, whats it run in the quarter ya think?
I don't really think this car is fast down the ¼, but it is responsive in the 1/8. Then again, I have NEVER been down a ¼ mile track, so I don’t have a clue. It is my belief that most just underestimate these cars and “pay for that”.

There are MANY things that apply to both IC’d and HA cars. I read a long time ago (when I first started in the TR thing) to read “everything”.
That is what I have been doing and learned a LOT from both HA and IC crowds.
It is my belief that the key to this combo “virtually no lag” and the spool is pretty much instant.
Even at 10 PSI it is FUN to drive. (I am sure I’ll get used to the 10 PSI eventually :biggrin: )

Back