You can type here any text you want

Killed a c5 with my dart

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbows6

This wasn't in my TTA, but it was a fun kill anyway. I just got my 1970 dart lined out and running good, so I took it to town on Friday night. There are always several cars cruising around here, so I drove through the normal places everyone cruises and I see a black c5 coupe at a stoplight getting ready to go the other way. I revved the motor just a little when I drove by and didn't think much of it. Later that night I was in a different part of town and pulled into get gas and see the same corvette there too. About the time I finish filling it up on 93 octane the guy driving the corvette comes out. He was probably around 20 and had his girlfriend waiting in the car. He asked what I had in it I told him it was just a small block. 340? he said. No, a 360. He started talking about his LS1 trans am and how quick it was, and then asked if I thought my car would outrun his corvette. I said I thought it would, and I could tell he was thinking "yeah right". We talked for a couple minutes and I got in and got ready to pull back on the highway and he gets right behind me. I got on the road behind a truck, and he pulls out into the other lane and shoots by and pulls in front of the truck right before he hits a red light, so I switch lanes to get next to him. I always have M&H cheater slicks (like et streets) on because it's set up to look a little bit old fashioned. I knew I could easily outpower a stock c5, so I didn't try to launch the car too hard to make things safer. When the light turned green I brought the clutch out at around 3000 rpm and he instantly disappeared from beside me. I hit second and the rear end kicked to the left a little but hooked great! I looked back real quick and I had about 4 cars on him by the time I got to the top of 2nd so I let off. A little bit down the road a middle aged lady in a mini van passed by and gave a big thumbs up to me, and when the corvette finally caught up he just said "yeah that things pretty fast" right after he looked like a dumbass right in front of his girlfriend.

The dodge is a 365" small block with ported edelbrocks and a richmond 5 speed. A couple years ago when I was was about 22 or 23 I designed and built the entire front suspension out of chromemoly and converted it to rack and pinion steering and coilovers with 4 wheel disc brakes. It's all steel, but WAY lighter than it looks. I'll try to get it to the track soon and see what it does there.

Yeah, I need to get the rest of the grille put in! :D
990925415_l.jpg

990916972_l.jpg

It is so great to make people with their girlfriend's look like total loser's.
They're bubble of cockiness just bursts. :)

Man, I wouldn't mess with that thing just by looking at it :eek: especially if I was in a stockish C5.
That's a nice looking Dart. There was a guy at the local track once with a "Swinger" Dart 440. I never saw a full from him though, it kept breaking up half way down the track. Keep us updated on the track times.

turbows6 said:
The dodge is a 365" small block with ported edelbrocks and a richmond 5 speed. A couple years ago when I was was about 22 or 23 I designed and built the entire front suspension out of chromemoly and converted it to rack and pinion steering and coilovers with 4 wheel disc brakes.

Very, very nice! :biggrin:

Nice Kill!

When are these vetts going to stop messing with old muscle:wink:

It's really cool that you designed the front suspention on you car! I have been thinking about a similiar set up for my 64 Buick Special. Everything else is pretty much done, but sure would like to loose the weight in the front. By chance, did you take pictures of you build process? If so, could you share them with us?

Ray

I didn't take many pictures while I put this thing together. First off, I learned a lot of the nuts and bolts aspect of the project from "The Metal Fabricators Handbook" By Ron Fornier and information with regard to front suspension geometry was from some books about stock car and road racing suspensions, I know the application is different, but the basic theories still apply. I did have a moderate level of experience with welding and other things of the sort. I did this all out of my own garage and it tracks down the road straight and has plenty of street miles and been over 100 mph.

With all the readily available kits and parts from chassis companies It would be a lot easier to just get some kind of a kit and do it, and cheaper if you don't have the tools already.

This car became a bit of an obsession for a while. I wanted to do everything on it myself that I could. I painted it and did all the mechanical aspect of it myself. Converted it from an automatic to a 5 speed. I think I literally took every bolt in this car off while fixing it up down to the little screws in the factory gauges to recalibrate them.

I need some seat time in this thing for sure. It's the first time i have been to the track with it after getting it running right. I got a so so 60 foot time of 1.66 and missed 5th a little before the 1000' mark and it coasted to an 11.7@97mph. :eek: It was also a hot humid night at 1500' elevation. Not bad for a street driven stock shortblock 360 with a 170 cc head, hydraulic flat tappet cam with a dual plane intake on pump gas. I think on a good pass this thing will go low 11's or maybe eek into the high 10's. Some suspension tuning, solid roller and a 100 shot and things could get interesting :biggrin:

Damn, that incredible. You've got an absolute monster there. WHat's that thing weigh now?

I don't know what it weighs really. I know it's lighter than stock, but it's all steel and has all the factory glass and dash etc. and sees mostly street use. The other funny thing about the 11.7 run was that the owner of Percy's high performance parts (the same parts you see in summit and jegs) was in the other lane with his street corvette that everyone around here thinks is unbeatable. It's an aluminum block 400+ plus cubic inch SBC with 32 valve dominion heads that is supposed to be totally tricked out from what everyone says. I was setting right next to it untill I missed 5th gear. Some minor adjustments and good driving and I think I might just be able to hand that car it's a$$ with my low buck 360.

Back