You can type here any text you want

Killed something different

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

granatl

TRCM Author
Len and I have been working on my GN fixing various things for the past few weeks. We have the car run smoothly, it just occasionally shuts off and now the A/C stopped working agian.
Now on my 7th alternator (trying the '96 Impala one this time), I decided to go cruising last night.
Here in Vegas, we have this straight street that slants along the valley, roughly 12 miles long. Fortunately, the car is running fine and I'm just gliding along with traffic.
Then I see it! Imagine if you will, a primer gray '32 Roadster with rear slicks as wide as Texas. He's got the straight pipes that come straight off the block and then bend up like a dragster. Blower whine that could drown out a 747 take-off. YES! Finally something worthwhile!
So I watch him bob and weave in traffic for a couple of miles, and decide to catch up. Sure enough we get the light together.
I pedal it just enough to break the tires looses and then let up, giving him time to lay into it himself. He's about 1/2 a car back on me when he floors it. Naturally, I return the favor. Spinning in the top of first, fish tailing in 2nd, didn't matter, he couldn't catch me. He gave up in about an 1/8th mile.
Oh what a thrill to have some fun with something other than a Honda. I would've like to have known more about the car, but he turned off a couple of miles later.

Glad to hear it's running better. What did you come up with??
p.s. nice kill!

Part of the problem was a bad IAC. So the vacuum brakes (when the car was hot) was enough to cause the car to stall.
Bad Walboro fuel pump.
Bad alternator.
Going back to the old fuel pump with the new alternator really has the fuel pressure where it needs to be. I haven't seen it look that good in many years. I'm inclined to think that the fused link that I had hanging off the alternator for the hot wire had too much resistance. The new one has made a huge difference.

It still randomly dies under low load. Len ohm'd the fusible links and they came out fine. I replaced a section of the ECM power wire that had melted. It tripped a code 42 (ESC timing) last night, so I'm going to try a different ESC module.

I did pass emissions today, so that's one less thing to worry about.

i killed something different to,a gn.i have a 96 m6 s60 rear end 383 stroker z28.all blk. i say to people its like a gn but handles millions of xs better,plus it has all modern day luxuries.4wdb,abs tc control f.i double overdrive,leather top of the line boise.only four options short of a full boat,plus a cage that i hate.seats barely recline.anyway this was an 86 gn not to far from my house. i know the guy from the area, real nice guy.we crossed paths in our cars this passed perfect weekend,and i still asked if it was for sale.......of course no.so i said lets see if it would be worth buying.he agreed.first i said i might mess up my launch and he go's i knew it typical stick driver making excuses before and after a race. so i got on the defensive and said most of the stories are true it is hard to properly disengage a clutch,and look out for other people and the police if where going to do this,i said ok options from a roll,a certain speed,or a dead stop you pick. dead stop. damn i said in my head. so the whole time im thinking while going to a spot to do this was how can i get this car to hook of the line.oh we both have dr's mine are 16 and his 15didnt matter.my car has all what was stated in the beginning plus every bolt on suspension they make for fbodies,tubular k,a arms subframes boxed arms relo.brackets tube panhard adj t.a. best part s60.car was a race/street car got it for 9g well well well worth it still every factory option works.his car all suspension that parts made for a gn fmic alky 3.5 dump all normal upgrades numerous chips cut out more mods than me.great car. finally get to the area only two of us, he said third honk go i agreed roll up our windows the i hear his dump open.damn, i kept mine closed? did quick dry hops.im now sitting in a positon where shifts would be good and comfy,looking out the winsheild building rpm him boost honk honk honk.both take off like illegals during a raid,my glove box pops open after first second nearly pulled the rear out all to fourth i only heard my car not his and to tell the truth it had to be dead even or either way. none claimed victory and we hung out back at his house drank beers for awhile and he wondered how i stayed with him. i still want a gn always have but this car to far exceeds a gn in everyday driving,downfall is you cant hide in my car everyone throws revs,or barks a gear next to you for a quick joust,not as much in a gn. right now im searchin for a gn or t. im not putting a gn down so guys dont crap talk,nothing is invincible.moral gm vs gm both winners in my book.

yea sorry guys i realized after i submitted it something was aw bout it and a couple of mispelled wordzzz including deez few here.

Granatl nice kill, those do look intimidating and they are lighter than hell, a few posts I've seen were around 2300lbs!!

Hey another Walbro failure, but 6 dead alternators, what the hell that can't be bad luck.

Is the car as fast as the sig or slower due to street trim?

I sort of think when I did that 11.7x, I was running a street chip, but with slicks.
I'm pretty sure that the car is faster now. I was having all sorts of fueling problems back then.

Back