Knock Failsafe

jskarateka

So I was thinking (I know right?) We've got knock sensors, knock ignition timing retard, knock gauges, knock alarms, power loggers, Scanmasters, and Scanmaster G's.

I know by the time you get any knock it's sometimes too late, but couldn't we have something automatically happen when knock is sensed other than timing retard?

Anything too drastic would cause worse problems, but what about a pressure relief valve solenoid doohickey. For those with external gates maybe put in in line on the spring side wired to a light and toggled when tripped until reset?

What do you guys think, good idea? Dumb idea? Don't quit my day job? If a board member makes a bunch of money off this though, don't forget about me ;)

Thats thinking outside the box.

Make it adjustable too for different levels of knock.

I like it.

D

Years ago when tuning and testing a new build, we used a simple procedure to be sure not to take out a head gasket or anything else.

Unleaded gas turned to crap in the early 90's and still is questionable? Our solution was to add enough race gas to take us beyond the limits we were seeking.

The one time I figured I had it dialed-in with pump gas, I immediately blew a head gasket in a customer's fresh engine. Of course I had to eat that one.

With a Powerlogger and road testing, we are able to creep up on the desired performance level, but I still want more than enough octane in the tank to cover my ass and be on the safe side while "tuning"!

I believe the Buick Stage Indy motors had some kind of a relief grove cut in the deck from bore to outside the head that allowed excess pressure to escape without blowing the head gasket.

Last edited: