You can type here any text you want

Knock Sensor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ek02

Does anyone know of a knock sensor system that can be used for a non computerized N/A V6? MSD used to make one, part # 8964, but it's not in their catalog now. Is there a way to use a GM knock sensor in the factory location on the block to operate a light, or maybe a Caspers knock guage?

The Casper's knock gauge is connected to the yellow wire between the ESC module and the ECM. It works off the ESC module output, so the ECM is not needed. I believe you would just need power and ground to the ESC module and then connect the knock gauge to the ESC output wire.

You would need the knock sensor and ESC module from a 1983+ engine. I believe it does not need to be from a turbo V6. Casper's should be able to answer for sure.

From the Casper's website:
An ESC module is required to interface with this gauge. If the vehicle has this module, attach gauge as shown. If not, you must use a GM ESC module to facilitate installation. Caspers can supply the correct connector for the ESC module. This setup will allow hookup to existing Piezo-style knock sensor equipped cars. Use 18-gage wire to install this gage. Select three wires to facilitate the installation. Use the supplied FEMALE spade terminals for the gauge hookup. Carefully crimp one wire at a time onto each terminal and attach to gage in the following order:
http://www.installationinstructions.com/102004.pdf

Thanks. Looks like it will work with just the ESC module, but I will call and make sure when I order the guage. A wideband O2 guage and a knock detection system will give me more than seat of the pants tuning. I wonder if the noise from forged pistons and Comp 885 rollers will give false readings?

I doubt it. It the same sensor in the Turbo V6's and those folks aren't having issues with forged pistons and roller cams.

Thanks. Looks like it will work with just the ESC module, but I will call and make sure when I order the guage. A wideband O2 guage and a knock detection system will give me more than seat of the pants tuning. I wonder if the noise from forged pistons and Comp 885 rollers will give false readings?
Ihave forged pistons and they are not loud at operating temp as far as the comps lifters i dont see how you can stand to listen to them IMO. The pistons wont set it buy bet those lifters will

My hearing is pretty bad, so they don't bother me too much. They sound a lot better after I adjusted them hot to zero lash. The GN1's apparantly grow when hot and make the clearance larger. With my cam lobes being fairly agressive, I think any roller lifter might make noise.

depending on what knock control system you use, the noise of the engine may or may not cause false readings. I have a gear drive in my engine and when i first installed my knock system it was giving me alot of false readings due to the drive. I can tune out the frequency on mine, and some others can as well. just need to really do the research when picking one.

I run a SafeGuard. been keeping it a secret from most for awhile, it was the big factor in me being able to jump the bridge in performance. was like my big edge up ya know? it controls everything and darn near more. expensive, but worth every penny when you run on the ragged edge like a carb turbo does.

My hearing is pretty bad, so they don't bother me too much. They sound a lot better after I adjusted them hot to zero lash. The GN1's apparantly grow when hot and make the clearance larger. With my cam lobes being fairly agressive, I think any roller lifter might make noise.
Makes sense with the gn1s probably alot differant hot

I took a quick look at the Safeguard units before and thought it was too elaborate, but taking a second look, that is one nice setup. I already have the rpm limiter, 2 step, and nitrous retard functions in the MSD Digital 6 box, so I was just looking for a setup that would let me know when it's knocking so I can back off. I'm using the stock distributor pickup to trigger the Digital 6 to fire the coil, instead of the factory ignition module. All three units are worth the money though for any boosted or nitrous setup.

I went the same way you did originally, msd digital 6 worked great and did the job wonderfully, but the safeguard with those functions, plus the boost retard and the knock control was the icing on the cake.

I quickly sold all my ignition components and went that route, i swear by my safeguard. Charlie knows i used to take out motors left and right in my wild test and experiaments and after i couldnt afford to build motor after motor i got smart, talked to Norbs and he sent me to J&S..... havent lost a motor since. nice piece if your willing to drop 600 bucks on the unit, plus the rest of the igniton... adds up to a grand real quick. but if you want to win (with carb turbo) this is the only way.

I understand. I may go that route after I pay my tax bill for 2012. :mad:

well if your interested, you can borrow one of mine to try it before you go for it.... its hard for most to drop any kind of coin like that on a single ignition part, so i can feel your sentiments.

give it a whirl, and if you like it - you know what to expect!

I went the same way you did originally, msd digital 6 worked great and did the job wonderfully, but the safeguard with those functions, plus the boost retard and the knock control was the icing on the cake.

I quickly sold all my ignition components and went that route, i swear by my safeguard. Charlie knows i used to take out motors left and right in my wild test and experiaments and after i couldnt afford to build motor after motor i got smart, talked to Norbs and he sent me to J&S..... havent lost a motor since. nice piece if your willing to drop 600 bucks on the unit, plus the rest of the igniton... adds up to a grand real quick. but if you want to win (with carb turbo) this is the only way.
More info please if ek02 does not mind? Other wise PM me very interested still sounds better than smoking motors

I don't mind at all. I found the web site. www.jandssafeguard.com/

Back