lc2 in a gta? or other ta?

denn454

turbo swimmer
i just had this crazy idea. my t-type has a good ammount of body damage, i'm looking at around $2000 to fix give or take. i'm toying with the idea of swaping the motor into an elcamino. i'd sell it but i can't get nearly what i want out of it, and never really have cared for the regal body too much, so to me its not worth keeping.

how much work am i looking at to get a trans am with the same body style and everything as the tta? i'm thinking if i could possible find a decent v6 firebird it might be fairly easy.

or am i setting myelf up for a lot of work?

Originally posted by denn454

or am i setting myelf up for a lot of work?

Well downpipe AC clearance will be an issue, x-member, motor mounts, driveshaft, exhuast.. etc.

I'd do a hybrid if anything.. like a 240Z, RX7, 64 Nova, etc... something that weighs 2400 lbs.. will fly on a stock GN motor.

it was just a hair brained idea, sounded good for a while.

if i end up doing that i'll go with either an elcamino to keep things simple, or get a 71-73 vega that weighs nothing. and there are a lot of pro street ones out there with full frames, 4 link, the works minus motor and trans for reasonable money.

scrap the trans am idea, thanks anways.

I've thought of the same thing with the Vega.. easy easy..

There are 2-3 guys here that have done it. I noticed it in thier sig's... they might be able to help. I'm sure it's a PITA, but I dig the idea myself. If I wasn't a complete retard, I'd do it myself in a 89 GTA convertable or something.

Hey... what about a C4 vette? Super light, open engine bay...

Wait, I'm gonna go buy better tools and give THAT a whirl!

I hope to see you do it. Maybe we can take pics and document one!:D

i like the vette idea, but money is a big issue here. thats how i got the idea in the first place. a tta is pretty pricey, but a firebird is pretty cheap. i have the engine tranny and rear end, all the parts are there, parting out my car would pretty well finance the whole thing.

AND its nothing unusual to see a nice tubed and full tube framed streetable vega on ebay for around $2000 minus motor and tranny. they look like small cameros too. and i miss my old one.

I like the ideas of the hybrid cars on that other buick board ;)

A 3rd gen rx7 with a mild build lc2 would be a rocket......

The rolling chassis wpould prolly cost a pretty penny though