Leaking brake fluid

huntinghill2

Hello all,

I just picked up my first GN. I am located in Long Island. Suffolk county. She is leaking brake fluid below the booster. I was told it’s called brake master control module…. I did do some Google searching and couldn’t verify that. Attached is a photo. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Is there a go to mechanic anyone can recommend in Long Island area in New York.

Attachments

• 24F58DCC-9F20-42DE-BF84-B3ACA19179B8.jpeg
    24F58DCC-9F20-42DE-BF84-B3ACA19179B8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your purchase- now you can say goodbye to your bank accounts. lol
On these older cars it’s just called a master cylinder.
If it’s just leaking out of the fittings, you can loosen and tighten the flare nut to seat (reseal) the tube flare.
If it leaking between the master cylinder and the vacuum booster (bolted to the firewall), more than likely the master cylinder is leaking out the back and needs replaced.
If you end up replacing the master cylinder make sure to bench bleed it to get all the air out so your brakes aren’t spongy due to air trapped inside.

Dave Husek has a shop right there in Long Island.

LINK: TurboBuickPerformance.com

its a powermaster ... big buck to get a replacement theses day if you can find one it will be a rebuilt

they can leak from front of the pump that faces the firewall
best advice is convert it to vacuum brakes

Attached is the GM service manual section for the powermaster brake system.

you have some considerations to think about...

depending upon how original the car is or how original or stock you are trying to keep it, the powermaster brake system can be serviced; rebuilt; pump motor winding redone, etc. at Richard Clark's Garage in Burlington, NC.

there is a book written by John Norton and Richard Clark about the powermaster system. it's available at various vendors. When maintained and brake fluid replaced annually, the powermaster system works fine. Problem is most folks don't maintain it, don't keep up with keeping the brake fluid clean, and don't have the fittings/ gauges / other Kent-Moore tools to work on it. And the system's are now more than 35 years old and most could use a going over and refresh.

Yes, you can convert the braking system to vacuum.

Yes, you can also convert the braking system to hydroboost. If you consider hydroboost conversion, you should look at having your power steering pump serviced and rebuilt for use with hydroboost setup.

As suggested, contact Dave H. and listen to his input for finding a solution you'd be happy with.

Attachments

• PowerMaster_Service Manual.PDF
    701.6 KB · Views: 21
its a powermaster ... big buck to get a replacement theses day if you can find one it will be a rebuilt

they can leak from front of the pump that faces the firewall
best advice is convert it to vacuum brakes

Thank you, I didn’t notice the motor under the M/C.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your purchase- now you can say goodbye to your bank accounts. lol
On these older cars it’s just called a master cylinder.
If it’s just leaking out of the fittings, you can loosen and tighten the flare nut to seat (reseal) the tube flare.
If it leaking between the master cylinder and the vacuum booster (bolted to the firewall), more than likely the master cylinder is leaking out the back and needs replaced.
If you end up replacing the master cylinder make sure to bench bleed it to get all the air out so your brakes aren’t spongy due to air trapped inside.

Dave Husek has a shop right there in Long Island.

LINK: TurboBuickPerformance.com
I thought that David Husek has relocated to Florida?