Leaking master cylinder

kulungi

I just purchased a 1984 grand national in good condition 88K on the car. It is leaking from where a normally a power assit would be for the breaks. Instead their is a junction thier where the power steering lines are connect to it. I am not sure what that does. Does it assit your breaks or cool your power steering unit? Anyway it is leaking fluid from this location against the fire wall. The fluid has been running down the fire wall for a while. I cleaned up the area and I am tring to determine where the leak is coming from. The old owner told me it is power steering fluid he would add it as needed. I want to fix the leak.
1. Is it possible that the master cylinder is leaking is was 3/4 empty when I checked it. I cleaned up that are removed the old fluid and reassembled the cover.
2. What does that unit behind the master cylinder do?
3. Could a internal leak from that unit behind the master cylinder be allowing the fluid to leak betwwen the fire wall. It looks like someone removed and replaced the rubber gasket before.
If anyone has a car like this and know what I am talking about please help.
Thanks Mike

What you have is a hydroboost which uses the pressure of the power steering to assist in the brakes. There is 2 pressure lines and one return line connected to the hydroboost. The one on the passenger side comes from the pump and the one on the drivers side goes to the steering gear. My guess is it is leaking from one of these depending on the side that is leaking. If it is leaking between the master cylinder and the hydroboost it is probably the pushrod seal which means it's time for a new unit.

First wipe completely clean and see where it's leaking.
The lines may just need to be tightened or the o-ring under the fitting replaced.

check out this site.

Part's Image

Hydroboost

I don't see any external leak. It appers to be coming from the firewall. This would leave me to beleive that an internal leak could be causing it to run down the fire wall. The leak looks like it is coming where the hydroboost bolts to the firewall. I hate to take the hole unit from the car. This requires bolts to be removed from the interior of the car around where the brake pedal post pushes into the hydroboost unit.

Looks like you need a new hydroboost $150 at advance auto. It's not that tough of a job , just unhook pedal rod and 4 nuts. With an air ratchet , swivel union and some extensions it can be done quickly. Use the air ratchet because it doesn't require movement since there is no room for any under the dash. The toughest one is the top right, and only when trying to get the nut back on the stud.

Good luck and if you have any questions just ask.

Think manual rachet

Don't have a air rachet it looks like it the old manual style with a quarter turn at a time. I will use a swivel and allot of extensions. I thank you for the information it has answered my questions and also the price I would have to pay the machanic when the car is just sitting until I go through it myself and check breaks and that sort of stuff. Before registration and insurance. Thanks Again. I am sure more issues will come up as I work on it so you will be hereing from me again.