Line Lock questions.

Justin Terry

I already have a line lock on the front so I dont heat the rear brakes up when doing a burn out. I have alot of trouble holding boost at the line without using the e-brake but I have heard it is very likely to break the baking plates doing that. I have 4 long soft shoes on the rear and S-10 wheel cylinders and a new accumulator that I didnt need. I have bled the brakes and the work good and have a good pedal but just wont hold on slicks when trying to build boost. I was thinking about just putting a line lock in the rear brake lines and using my one for the front also. Then just stage stomp the brake and hold both line locks. Would that work. thanks

Just my opinion but from what you have said if the foot break won't hold the car in place I don't think the extra line lock will do any different. The pressure from your brake system is the same.

I would do some checking of your system. This has been talked about before here on the BB. Check your backing plate, it may already be bent so your not getting a full brake pad contact. The other thing that has been brough up is to have the shoes matched to your drum. And third something I ran across is over time the PM system looses pressure. I fought a problem like this years ago and after checking and replacing a number of parts had the PM fail. Before the PM failed I could only hold from 5 to 8# but after it was changed I could hold almost what ever I wanted. At least to the point the cars suspension would not get traction.

Good Luck

What about a new porportioning valve someone told me mine could be bad and not sending enough pressure to the rear. Also there is some brake jumper thing that send all your pressure to the rear. Anyone hear anything about that.

Originally posted by Justin Terry
What about a new porportioning valve someone told me mine could be bad and not sending enough pressure to the rear. Also there is some brake jumper thing that send all your pressure to the rear. Anyone hear anything about that.

If you have a proportinoing valve that is cast iron, then you should change to the brass replacement (part # 25509419 - cost approx. $45 at GM PartsDirect). I also have a Summit proporting valve that restricts the amount of pressure that is applied to the front brakes; it is adjustable so most of the pressure can be routed to the rear brakes.
Jeff