lock up convertor

tsturbo

Really how hard is this on the convertor ? I hear everybody say that it is going to break it . Is that one pass 100 passes , 5 miles 10,000 miles . Is there anybody on here that has there chip lock there convertor ? thanks

One other thing my car feels really funny at 43 mph it feels like the convertor locks and unlocks or something like that . It just does not like to be driving in overdrive in the city . but it is only at like 43 mph . any thoughts . it did this before and after a dynotech rebuild and a new convertor . thanks

It is definitely hard on a converter and will kill the lockup clutch eventually. The time it will take depends on how much power you are making. I killed the lockup clutch in a 10.5" Protorque converter in my GT in 6 months of street and track duty. I picked up 3 mph locking it though. Then I bought Precision Industries multi disc, which is specifically designed for this purpose & picked up another 2 mph.

I called all of the major manufacturers of single disc converters and none recommended full throttle lockups except PI. Some people get away with it because they are confusing a quick car on slicks vs a car that runs 120+ mph trap speeds making alot of power.

My chip locks my converter at 72 mph at full throttle and the car pulls like crazy. It will eventually kill the clutch. Before that happens, I should have PI 3 disc converter. When a multi-disc locks up, you feel it.

thanks

Thansk marc !
I have a 12.50 car that would get the convertor locked up once a week at the most . More like when need be . I do a little street racing and thats it . I think I will have Eric burn me a chip to lock it in . What mph do you think I should ask for to lock ?

An old stock D5 with lots of miles may last a lot longer than a new high stall lock up.

The old D5 converter has less of an RPM difference between locked an unlocked and the two sides of the clutch fit like a glove.

A new highstall lockup has a bigger RPM difference to deal with and the New linings might not be fully seated, allowing the clutch to burn up pretty quickly.

I had hundreds of lock up passes on my original 100K mile D5 (and it still netted .2/2mph), before I swapped it for a low mile, un raced D5.