Lookin to swap in an ole Turbo V6...

91Bird305

I am pretty sure this is my first post on this message board. I am not sure if Brian (Turbobuick on AIM and Motown Muscle) is on here but he, along with a large group of turbo guys, recommended me here to do some research before I started this project.

I am lookin to swap in a 86-87 GN engine. Just curious if anyone locally has done this before with an Fbody. I have talked to others who have and it doesn't seem that hard. With the 86-87 GN engine everything pretty much bolts up but I will loose my A/C due to the type of heads the GN engine uses. Which is really no big deal since my A/C has been gone for 2 years now. I figure I would go to Gary Cook for some aftermarket headers and a custom downpipe and have them coated. Everyone says he does great work. But do I really need custom headers made or can I go with the stock ones from the GN or TTA and have them coated? My exhaust I have now is a full 3" cat-back. Not sure on the size intercooler yet. Is a stock intercooler safe enough or would I want to go bigger?
I wanted to fully port and polish the heads, 5 angle valve job. Port matched intake. And I am not absolutely sure on a cam size yet since I have just touched base on that. I have had a couple guys recommend a few numbers
212/206 or 210/210 or 214-210 cam
I want to go with billet main caps, rebuild the engine from top to bottom so I know everything is gonna work right when I drop it in.
Also, not sure on what size turbo I would have. I do have this database sheet of a list of different turbos and what their hp ratings are with side notes. I am guessing with the work I want to do, maybe go with a TE-60 but I could be wrong. Thats why I am asking u guys. I am sticking with the 700r4 since I already had it beefed up. But of course I would have to go with a different stall since the one in there now is just a 2200 and I am not sure which one to go with just yet. I think with the TE60, the mininum recommended was a 2800. So I would maybe wanna go with a 2800-3000. I will also have to pick up the adaptar from TCI. I heard MSD 50's were good for injectors.

I know I am probably missing things on here that I will need. Like for instance, I am not sure if I really need to go with forged pistons or not. I heard the stock crank is pretty good but I am not sure if it will hold with what I want with this setup. My suspension is pretty much setup with a few minor things for the strip. And my rear end is so far down the list of things to get done that I am not even gonna focus on that. LoL But the GM 10 bolt I have in there now has GM Motive 3:42 gears, and an SLP limited slip differential.

Eric,

I have a motor im going to be pulling out of my car soon. If you are interested let me know. You can hear it and see it run. I'm going to a Stage 2 motor. I'll sell all the stuff I have for it(turbo,intercooler,headers,down pipe)

Scott

91bird305....

i have seen it done before into a mid 90's RS camaro convertible

looked very nice... convertible

a place called www.aggressiveperformance.com did the work and it was nice, if you are serious give them a call and see what they can tell ya

Originally posted by Quick Turbo V6
Eric,

I have a motor im going to be pulling out of my car soon. If you are interested let me know. You can hear it and see it run. I'm going to a Stage 2 motor. I'll sell all the stuff I have for it(turbo,intercooler,headers,down pipe)

Scott

Scott, that sounds like JUST what I need. Sorry it to me awhile to response. I hadn't checked this part of the page in awhile. :D

And yes, I already got aggressiveautomotives catalog in the mail and they have some things I need that I will be ordering from them. They seem like a good shop.

Originally posted by 91Bird305
Scott, that sounds like JUST what I need. Sorry it to me awhile to response. I hadn't checked this part of the page in awhile. :D

And yes, I already got aggressiveautomotives catalog in the mail and they have some things I need that I will be ordering from them. They seem like a good shop.

Eric,

I still have the motor. Its out of the car now though. I sold the headers and intercooler. I have video of it running, if that helps. Let me know what you want/need. I can send pics also.

Scott.

Just use parts specific to a TTA. Exhaust, downpipe, headers, etc.

As far as heads go you need FWD heads to clear the strut towers. Use a set of TTA heads. Some say they flow better anyways.

Lots have done this swap, use the search feature and you will find most of what you need here.

Yeah, I have done a lot of research since I made this post and found out a lot on the swap. If i stick with the GN heads I would loose my A/C and that would be it. My A/C is out anyways, so its no big deal to me.

Scott, I am VERY interested in the motor. Is it stock or what has been done to it? And does it come with the accesorries or not? How much are you asking for it?

The motor is not stock. It is .030 over, hyd. roller cam,alum. heads,70 mm throttle body,steel main caps to name a few things. It can come with the accesorries if you want them. It depends on what you want with the motor, as to how much I want for it. Let me know if you want pics or any other info.

Scott

Yeah, send me some pics. I will pretty much want everything from the pan to throttle body and I will need all the accesorries as well like the alternator, etc if thats possible. I won't need motor mounts or anything like that though and I won't need the wiring harness.

yeah, im here....were gonna make yer bird FLY !!!!!

TURBOTRANSAM.COM has some third gen/gn motor swaps there.

Thanks Brian. :) Yeah I am pretty exicited about the swap. Now I am just workin and savin money like crazy so I can do this. :D