You can type here any text you want

Looking for tuning advise for MAFT Gen II

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BuickMike

Money pit
So I got this thing hooked up to my GN using a non-extender chip (Turbotweak 5.7) and a 1st gen LS1 MAF. I just started putting and cruising around and watched Integrator and BLM's on Turbolink. I know, I said Turbolink. It's all I have now.

Anyway, Integrator was around 138 around 1800RPM's and up to 158 around 3300 or so under light to mid throttle. Static cruising and idle was almost dead on 128.

So far I scaled mid load fuel so it is up to about 20% or so by 2200 and climbs a little as you go up the RPM's and it is closer, like 129 to 138-143. BLM's sit at 132 in the high cells. I also scaled the low load tune to a lesser extent and it is really close.

That being said, how close is good enough? It seems like I'm adding a lot of fuel. Is this normal?

I did do a couple 3rd gear WOT runs with it. 02 (NB) are at 785ish. I got a few knock counts at the high end, so I slowly scaled yp to 10% fuel in the High load tune. Ran again and no knock.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get my WB02 guage working and will fine tune WOT with that.

Most of the tuning for cruising and light acceleration is done in the low load tune. Generally we tune to get blm's with in 10 + or - of 130.

Get a extender G chip and take full advantage of all the GenII's features.

RL

First thing How much boost are you running?

Get a Ext G chip and take full advantage of the Gen 2 offerings as mentioned.

Also, as stated dont look at INT as that is short term fuel correction its gonna be all over the place. BLM is the Block Learn Multiplier and is Long term fuel correction.

128 is a target value in the map but dont get hung up on that as being plus or minus 10 is just fine...repeat just fine! This is a very very common thing that people constantly tweat and tweak "I gotta get 128".

Well, BLM's are between 126-134 throughout the logs. I just figured that if I can identify the range where integrator jumps way up and get it close then BLM's will stay close. At this point the car feels really solid with the fueling changes I made and from what you guys say it looks like I'm close enough. Tonight I will check it all out with a wideband. and get WOT dialed in. What AFR should I shoot for? Since I'm running alky and crappy E10 91 octane I'm thinking to start at 10.8:1 and slowly lean out, look for knock, and richen back up from there. E10 alone likes a 4% richer AFR than straight gas. I've proven that while tuning my Trailblazer SS. I'm running only 20psi right now. I may run it a little fat and turn up the boos til I hit the sweet spot. Thoughts? Timing is 23/ 21. I can always pull a little using the chip.

I will order an Extender G chip soon.

You are on the right track.

If you decide to change the chip, let me know and we can work out an upgrade price from the TT chip. You would be looking for the Extreme G chip.

You are on the right track.

If you decide to change the chip, let me know and we can work out an upgrade price from the TT chip. You would be looking for the Extreme G chip.

Eric, I definitely want to do that. I'll shoot you a PM with my email address.

WHat is teh chip burned for boost wise?

I don't believe you specify that when ordering. I used to run 25psi on alky with timing at 21 with stock motor, TE-44, 36lb injectors, and a stock IC. Now I have 212 / 212 cam, Champion Iron heads, same TE-44 (precision housing), and a G Body parts SLIC. I'm flowing a lot of air, so 20psi may be my safe limit. We'll see.

Oh, and my Wiseco pistons and slightly decked block give me around 8.7:1 compression. All this coupled with a 3200 Vigilante make this thing a BEAST on the street, but I don't think it will net me good times in the 1/4 mile. The converter never used to flash so high, but now it does. I'm also worried I will run out of RPM at the top end. My old chip used to lock in 3rd under WOT (I have a 5 disc converter), but I think I forgot to mention that to Eric when ordering this one.

Oh, and my Wiseco pistons and slightly decked block give me around 8.7:1 compression. All this coupled with a 3200 Vigilante make this thing a BEAST on the street, but I don't think it will net me good times in the 1/4 mile. The converter never used to flash so high, but now it does. I'm also worried I will run out of RPM at the top end. My old chip used to lock in 3rd under WOT (I have a 5 disc converter), but I think I forgot to mention that to Eric when ordering this one.
If it is a 0 pump Vigilante, It will be fine with a TE44. A 0 pump doesn't slip too bad until thr mid 10's.

Not sure if it is. It's pink and a 5 disc lockup converter. I bought it in 2004. That's all I know about it at this point.

Hey guys. Started working on WOT tonight. at 20psi I have it locked in at 11.2-11.3 and it feels solid. This is running pump gas with 20% Xylol and meth injection BTW. If I up the boost it starts leaning out. I'm assuming I'm running our of fuel somewhere. Probably the meth kit. For now I'm leaving it where it's at until I can check fuel pressure at WOT, look into getting more meth, or even pulling timing back. I am currently at 23 / 21. Higher compression may limit me too.

The TT chip cannot read anymore airflow. This is where the Extender chips are great. You can turn the boost down without the car running rich, and turn it up without going lean. Any chip that uses the stock 255gr/sec scale have a guess injector duty cycle at WOT. These types of chips are not universal based on injector size like everybody in the for sale forums likes to think. An Extender chip is more forgiving to the combo since it is actually adjusting fueling based on MAS reading. Eric does a great job with his chips, but when wanting to change boost levels or your combo you need a new chip.
With the GEN 2 you will have the ability to adjust timing for octane as well. So one chip will do everything. Also, with an Extender chip, you can adjust WOT lock up.
IMO, running a translator and not running an Extender chip is a waste of $.

The TT chip cannot read anymore airflow. This is where the Extender chips are great. You can turn the boost down without the car running rich, and turn it up without going lean. Any chip that uses the stock 255gr/sec scale have a guess injector duty cycle at WOT. These types of chips are not universal based on injector size like everybody in the for sale forums likes to think. An Extender chip is more forgiving to the combo since it is actually adjusting fueling based on MAS reading. Eric does a great job with his chips, but when wanting to change boost levels or your combo you need a new chip.
With the GEN 2 you will have the ability to adjust timing for octane as well. So one chip will do everything. Also, with an Extender chip, you can adjust WOT lock up.
IMO, running a translator and not running an Extender chip is a waste of $.

LOL I get that I need an extender chip. I bought the chip awhile back while I was in the middle of building the car. The intention of the chip was go get me running with my current combo and look into a different tuning solution down the road. The build got delayed several months and during that time I scored my Gen II on Ebay for a good deal. The translator sat in a box until last weekend when I finally hooked it all up. It was then that I realized I needed a different chip to use all the features. I've already emailed Eric about upgrading and am waiting to hear back. I may PM him too.

I was able to run 25psi with my old chip, but my combo was different. Smaller injectors, stock heads and cam, and lower compression. I know that a chip cannot adjust fueling using the stock MAF scale over 255gps, but I though that we got more fueling at high boost by scaling the methanol controller and more fuel psi with more boost. Mine hits a wall at 22psi which tells me either the fuel pump or meth system is maxing out. Anyway, I'm going to leave it in its happy place and not worry until I get me new chip.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Mike,
The old chip I made for has enough fuel for 23-25psi boost, as long as the fuel system is keeping up, and the alcohol is spraying as expected. I would check those things out. If the alky system is 2+ years old or has been sitting around, you might consider having Julio rebuild the pump. Also check fuel pressure under boost.
For now, you can also just add some WOT fuel using the chip feature.
Let me know if you decide to do the Extreme chip and I'll make one up for you (it is a better match for the Gen II).
Regards,
Eric

Eric, I'll get that ordered today. Thaanks for replying and for confirming my thoughts that the fuel system is not keeping up. It's rock solid until 22psi. Right now I have Julio's system minus the controller. I still have a Snow Performance progressive controller in it. I will get Julio's controller in the near future though. I need to check 3 things with the meth system righ now. One is the ramp up on the controller. It is at its lowest setting. I will up that and see if it helps. If not, I need to check the regulator on the pump. A long time ago I turned it down because I was running a hobbs switch to it. Maybe I didn't put it back to where it is supposed to be. I also need to check my nozzle size and see if it is adequate.

Back