Loose steering?

John Ceta

Turbo Regal lover
I don't know how to explain it, but the steering on the Grand National seems really loose/soft to me. I mean, a slight turn of the steering wheel seems to make the front wheels turn a lot. My dad just had the stock steering box replaced with a rebuilt one from a 3rd generation Camaro, but it didn't make much of a difference, if any at all.
To give you a bit of an idea, when driving my 99 TA immediately after driving the GN, it feels like I should have worked out at a gym before trying to turn the TA steering wheel.

I guess this type of steering is characteristic of GN's and I'm just not used to it? Any ways to firm it up a bit?

All the G bodies I've had are like that. You can modify washers and springs in the steering pump to make the steering easy or tough at low speeds. Or you could add some + caster to your front alignment which wouldn't hurt if you plan on going fast.

John, could you elaborate on how to do this or link me to any sites that could help?

I don't know where the article is anymore, but go to MonteCarloSS.com and look through the steering part of the technical section. There will be lots of helpful things there.