You can type here any text you want

Loose T-Handle, & E-Brake lever.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

#1HotRod

My shifter T-Handle became quite loose, works ok but I'm careful to not put much tension on it when changing to D, R, etc. I seem remember a '69 A-body long ago had similiar shifter with a small pin holding handle onto lever, do the GN's have a pin up under that plastic cover? If so, just replace the pin, or how do I fix it?
Another small but irritating problem: I think something came loose with the E-brake pedal. Although all works well, when the release is pulled & pedal pops up, it seems to come up more than normal & the BRAKE light lights up, but of course the brakes are not engaged. I can push the foot control down a little & click it into place & the light will go out (careful not to push too much & engage brake). It seems there must be a stop of some sort (rubber?) between the footbrake stem & hardware under the dash; I've taped a rubber stopper there but does not work satisfactorily. Think I'm missing an easy fix.
Anyone know answers these two non-performance but irritating problems? Thanks.

Don't know about the E-brake
But
the shifter handle is held on by a "U" clip right below the handle on the front, use a little pick to pry it out, pull handle up & off
(the "U" clip aligns handle to the proper height; you'll see the mating groove on the shaft)
if handle is loose then its probably busted internally; they are plastic & it is VERY common for them to break;
I have NEVER repaired one successfully, they normally need to be replaced & they aren't cheap :mad:
If you do need to replace, only purchase the core handle piece
the little chrome trim rings & button are reusable
there are aftermarket handles out there.
The handle is Buick specific, they made similar ones for other GMs,
but the indexing tabs are 90* out of phase, x so the handle fits sideways (Thanks, GM!:confused:)

Do_O

Thanks Spiff, is the "core handle piece" a plastic gizmo inside the handle connecting to a rod running down inside the lever, or ? Where to get such parts?

Sorry! by "core" I meant the main body of the handle; the rubber "T"
all the little shiny bits can be removed, the 2 oval chrome rings at each end
& the round bezel on the bottom of the handle, as well as the push-button assembly & end cap
on opposite side. You can carefully pry these off & reinstall on new core.
It is the inside plastic part of the vinyl/rubber overmold handle that shatters.
Ive tried every type of glue, epoxy, you name it to restore mine & they always fail rapidly.

A lot of the guys on the board will be able to hook you up w/ a handle, I'm sure; supporting vendors also have 'em.
Again the handle is Buick specific, every other GM handle I have seen has the tabs in the wrong positions & wont fit.

The little white stub is an plunger; its adjustable end-piece that screws onto J-bar inside the shaft
Note its orientation when you remove the handle for proper re-fit; you probably wont have to adjust its height.

(I finally fabbed up a custom one from a Pontiac shifter;
& am thinkin' of going in an entirely different direction w/ an old school horseshoe shifter like in the G/S)

Do_O

Sounds like you've had your fun with those :mad: Seems ones available will be used & available because not so good itself, or subject to failure sometime. I'll post to try find new/unused. Thanks ur help, was nervous taking it apart without insider info. Thanks.

Back