You can type here any text you want

Lost my first head gasket.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

postal

Peoples champ runner up
My car is cursed when those tires hit Kentucky soil. That new tranny was shifting at around 4600 rpms when I tested it out here in Illinois. When she hit the track in Kentucky she hit over 6K and hung in first gear. She lived through this once but the 2nd time it happened some thing let go. She is belching some major smoke out of the drivers side valve cover breather. People are telling me I lost the head gasket. I wont know for sure until I tear into it.

My money is tight right now so I'm not sure how long the car will be down or what all I'm going to do to it. I was planning on porting the heads my self but I dont really have the money right now to pay for new valves, guides, and valve job. Plus she still has the stock timing chain in her and the stock cam.

This car was ALOT more fun as a mid 11 second car. These last few tenths have really taken there toll. :(

Jason

Major Bummer :(

Hang in there....When an engine goes south, its a baaad day :)

leeb

Yeah no crap two of the harder running stock long block TTA's lost thier head gaskets with in a few months of each other. Razor and my self. He lost his getting aggressive with alky and I lost mine getting aggressive with a new tranny.

I forgot to mention that I was trying to run at 27 to 28 psi and when she over reved real hard she was bouncing the boost gauge at 30! Stock cams, 6400 rpms, 30 psi of boost, fuel and ignition cut outs bouncing on and off, and a hung over moron forgetting to let off the go peddle...... :D

Man I drank WAY to much beer down there this year.

Jason

DAngit...sorry to hear that bro. The more I hear stories like this, the more I am satisfied with my car the way it is. Drive it to the track, make some low 12/high 11 passes, and drive back to the crib.. Sometimes you have to say when is the car fast enough. I think I may be there.

Sorry again about your car.:(

Ahh quit belly aching over a head gasket. Once you've blown them a couple times.. they get real easy to change :rolleyes:

Once you taste one of these cars at 600HP you never want to go back to 400hp. So I for one understand.

I saw that run where it let go..I was saying.. lift.. lift.. then I saw white smoke..

Your going to be doing both gaskets. Dont get stupid and put cometics or stacked steel shims.. get a set of felpro 9441pt's and call it a day. Pearcy carries the ARP bolts.

Put it back together, cost is about 150.00 in parts.. then figure on direction with a running car.

BTW thats how I blew my first HG.. my tranny flared to 6100 on a 2-3 shift at 28 PSI.

I also would have lost a headgasket or two in BG if I had not noticed that someone turned off my alky pump when I left the car in the staging lanes....bad joke or foul play I don't know, but God help them if I find out who it was!
Anyhow, thank the man above I noticed it while doing my pre-race inspections and was able to put it back to where it needed to be; would have been REAL ugly to say the least.

BTW thats how I blew my first HG.. my tranny flared to 6100 on a 2-3 shift at 28 PSI.

My bad I was making an assumption. So you lost yours the same way I did? What I dont understand is why a head gasket let go and not a spun bearing or some thing.

Jason

Originally posted by turbov6joe
I also would have lost a headgasket or two in BG if I had not noticed that someone turned off my alky pump <snip>
WTF! Now that's not "Going Fast With Class":( :rolleyes:

Back