You can type here any text you want

Lost to new C5

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JDSfastGN

Well all day today my friend and I had been working on my 87. Wehad just installed a new PTE44 with 50# MSDs. We took it out on the freeway with 15#s of boost and are cruising along when a new yellow vette convertable, pulls up. Take in mind this is probably a 65mph roll, so everything was not in my favor, but I figured what the hey, I had pulled vettes before with the stock turbo at 18#s. Well he pulls up and he goes before I can even know whats happening, pulling an instant car on me. I floor it and I slowed his pull down tremendously, but he was still pulling away and it finished with me about 1.5 cars back at about 100+ or so. I tried to get another run but traffic was too heavy and he was weaving in traffic and I didn't want to play that game. I was so dissapointed, I know he had to have some mods done, because with the stock turbo I had never lost to a stock LS1. It put a downer on all the celebration from how hard the car was pulling before the race. Oh well , the new combo hasn't been tuned yet and I think I can squeak out 18# on pump gas, so maybe next time. If the vette guy reads this , nice run and nice car.

NEVER and I mean NEVER go out to race without being on "KILL"
Even if it's just a test drive. I learned this the hard way too.

With your combo you should not lose to a C5. Put some high octane gas or alcohol in the thing and turn up the boost. These cars love boost and so does the PTE44. Turn it loose.

If you continue in this manner you will have to turn in your wastegate.:D

Originally posted by whitehot84

If you continue in this manner you will have to turn in your wastegate.:D

LOL!

yeah man you need to crank that boost up...i have the same exact combo brewing and that turbo's sweet spot is like 25 lbs...i don't even think a viper will be able to take you then...

i am running 10 lbs of boost on my te-44 right now with stock injectors because my car goes lean at 11+ lbs and that is not safe...i am still awaiting my injectors from racetronix...once i get those i am throwing in 104 unleaded for the street and 116 for the track...look out when i do that :eek:

Thanks guys I was running low boost because I had just got the PTE44 and the new wastgate actuator had a starting point and we kept having to turn it up more and more, because when running in tuner style(I broke my metered y hose) it takes more than a few turns on it to equal 1# more. I was just being safe:D Oh well I learned my lesson, and then tonight, while getting the boost dialed in, something let go on the topend of the motor. Not sure but it runs on 5 cylinders and has a loud tapping on the top of the motor. I don't know if its a dropped valve, a valve spring or a pushrod, I hope its not too bad. By the way the vette at least had a cat back, but I know it had a lot more, because on the stock turbo I used to be able to run them down, and the PTE44 pulls really hard. BTW Just a basis for improvement, my old best on the G-tech was 13.02 at 110 (The Gtech is supposedly 3-4 mph high) with a 0-60 in 4.2, and today it ran 12.73 at 115 in the nasty Houston weather(17.5#s and 255/60 BFG radial)s. So I'm betting it could run a high 12 at the strip in full street trim.

With this combination you should be in the 11's. Hope you get it lined out. By the way, all knocking sounds like it is in the top end. I just pulled a motor that was knocking loudly. It sounded like it was in the top but it was a spun bearing. Hope you have better luck.

Yeah I didn't have much more luck, I have three hurt cam bearings and one of them locked up and hurt the block and I have three cam lobes basically completely flat. This sucks, I guess if it was gradual that would explain the slow loss of power, that I thought was just my imagination, or the weather. Oh well I heard from a friend that knows a vette just like the one i described and said it was a heads cam car, so hopefully it was, that would make me feel better. I know it had mods because the next day, I ran a 2000 c5 with exhaust headers and intake and took him by 5 cars up to 110 or so. Thanks

Back