Lots of Oil Blowing Out the Breathers

cdub

I Want to Go Fast
So I have a ton of oil being blown out of the VC breathers, this is not the "typical" amount of oil these engines are known to get in/out of the breathers. Here are the pertinent facts:

1 - Only happens while driving/under load, does not happen in the garage @ 5-6k RPM
2 - It is not the PCV Valve - have blocked it off and tested
3 - It is not ring blow - each cylinder has been pressurized with 150 psi of shop air and show no signs of leakage
4 - It is not the head gasket - same reason as #3
5 - The car drives/feels great, there are no drivability issues
6 - I had ~1k miles on the new engine before this issue showed up.
7 - This started happening on the drive home from Cottons where I had a 3" DP, 44mm external WG and 2.5" SS exhaust system installed.

I am in now way insinuating that install at Cottons caused the issue, just stating that a major upgrade/change occurred just before this issue occurred for the first time. Brian did an excellent job.

The only thing I can think of currently is that Brian @ Cottons mentioned that since the WG port on my turbo (GT6131) had some overlap with the WG port on the DP, I might get some boost creep unless I had the port on the turbo ported to match the DP. Could this be causing back pressure? Could that be the root cause of the issue.

One other theory is that the oil being pumped into the head isn't able to drain back to the bottom of the engine quickly enough and is leading to oil build up on top of the heads under the VC's. Since I went with a hydraulic roller cam/lifters/rods/etc would this result in significantly more oil being delivered to the top of the heads?

Thanks for your help in advance, this one has me pulling my hair...

You stated in #2 that you have the PCV blocked...how do you want the engine to vent itself???? If you block the PCV, then you must run a catch can to the breather to catch the oil venting from the motor.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I know this may sound silly,

But you didnt accidently over fill it with oil? I made the same mistake not to long ago on my 4.1

A.j.

I also have the same problem and all my check valves are in place and the pcv valve is good. I also have a TH style downpipe that has overlap were the external wastegate tube and turbo meet. Now that you have mentioned it I'm wondering if that's my problem as well?

not to just say stuff, but throwing ideas out.

Is is possible to leak boost pressure into the drain side of the turbo, as in one of the seals failing?

im not a turbo guy so i dont know if this is possible - It just came as a thought because this happens sometimes to engine oil fed superchargers and gives the same result.

A.j.

Is is possible to leak boost pressure into the drain side of the turbo, as in one of the seals failing?

im not a turbo guy so i dont know if this is possible - It just came as a thought because this happens sometimes to engine oil fed superchargers and gives the same result.

A.j.

Interesting thought, I'm not sure if that is possible or not, hopefully someone who knows more about it will chime in.

In my case I'd be a bit sceptical since my turbo has ~1100 miles on it

Interesting thought, I'm not sure if that is possible or not, hopefully someone who knows more about it will chime in.

In my case I'd be a bit sceptical since my turbo has ~1100 miles on it

I believe that is possible.
odds are slim though.

Replaced the intake gasket with a new fel-pro gasket and used "The right stuff" RTV on it this time - issue appears to be fixed. Took it out last night and put i though the paces, no signs of oil at all now.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it keeps.

A.j.

This is definitely possible, my te60 does it right now... mine doesn't blow oil, just A LOT of air. Did however blow oil out the front seal once...

Replaced the intake gasket with a new fel-pro gasket and used "The right stuff" RTV on it this time - issue appears to be fixed. Took it out last night and put i though the paces, no signs of oil at all now.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it keeps.

That is great news.

Dude sounds like you on the right track with your troubleshooting. But please don't rev your engine 5-6k with no load on it :rolleyes: