You can type here any text you want

low boost

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jswmotor

Vicious
I have a low boost problem on a TTA. Only 9psi. New car to me. No history from owner.

1) Engine runs great with good oil pressure. How do I tell if it is the turbo? I found the plug off the controller and the other lines on the controller are are ok.
2) I have bad exhaust leaks that are in the process of repair now. Manifolds are ok.
3) Would you replace all tubes intake and intercooler first? They are factory but looked good with no visible splits.
4) Wastegate sticking?
5) :confused:

update

After looking up a search I checked the lines to the wastegate. They were reversed. Still low boost. I switched controllers from my GN and it did not work. I unplugged the connector and still had low boost. Removed and checked all tubes. No holes. Any idea what to look for next?

I took the rod off the elbow and moved the arm on the elbow back and forth. It moved freely. Do I still need to remove this?

Make sure there's no exhaust leaks that'll kill boost. You checked the vaccum lines, not much else. When you take it off you'll see a carbon ring and whether it was sealing or not.

HTH!

I do have massive exhaust leaks. My GN had bad leaks also but it did not do as bad as this car. I could get out run by a stock ricer :rolleyes:

I also moved the wastegate arm all the way in and the boost level did not change. I plan to get a new exhaust next week. I dread the manifolds. I think the RH is cracked or leaking. I can't tell from above. Thanks for your help. I will post a update reply.

Maybe your boost gauge is off?

You should have picked up some boost switching the y and tightening up the waste gate.

No change at all when switching the Y lines. The car has no power. I also have a stock 87 GN to go by. The TTA spools up good but will not go over 9 psi. Engine does not smoke 70K on car.
One thing I noticed today. It is hard to start when cold. you can turn it over and it will not start up but if you turn it over then stop and do it again it will usally start up on the third or fourth try. Fuel pressure??? I will check fuel now and post.:D

fuel press update

I checked the fuel press at idle with a cold engine. It is at 35 1/2 psi. I plan to get it to the exhaust man this week.

Hi !
I ran into this problem with my tta, and it ended up being a reversed hose on the wastegate actuator. Since you have already checked this, check it again! If the downstream hose is attached to the actuator, you're OK.

ricers eat me alive!!!!

83ttypecooled I went and double checked the TTA and compaired it to my GN. They are correct. :)

update

I got my TTA back from the exhaust shop. I still have the exact same low boost issue with the new exhaust system as I did with the old that had all the holes in it. After I installed the new exhaust I expected a higher boost. It is still at 9 psi. The car does not have the same power as my stock GN.

Where do I go next??????? Take the turbo off the GN??????

New exhaust.....
3" down pipe, test tube converter, 3" all the way back to the tips.

UPDATE

I still have a hard starting issue along with a low boost issue. If it sits for more than three days it is very hard to start. drive it everyday and it starts somewhat normal. Anyone think the boost and hard starting are related?? Fuel delivery??

I kind of had a similar problem. My car would reach about 10 psi but no higher. It turned out to be the hose from the turbo to the intercooler was kind of sliding off. Check that hose and the hoses on the Up pipe and make sure they're COMPLETELY on there. Mine appeared to be alright and when I put it on it still seemed to be ok but once I put the vibrant hoses and Tbolt clamps I stopped having the problem.

Cracked intercooler bleeding off air.

Do this, yank the hoses of the waste gate and turbo. This will give you unlimited boost. Place the car into second gear.. put a load on it.. now roll into the throttle and watch the guage.. If it still doesnt go over 9.. you have a massive air breach or a bad turbo.

Be very careful doing the above step.. as the car can hit 30 PSI if things are working as should.

You can take your IC off and to a radiator shop for them to pressure/leak test it.

HTH

boost

Hi!
Is the original y fitting still in place? Without the correct orifice, not enough boost. Also, you could plug the wastegate actuator hose and take a banzai run, but be careful!
Regarding you hard start problem, a bleeding regulator, fuelpump check valve, or leaky injectors could be the culprit. A gauge and hose clamp offs will tell you what's happening.
Dale

FIXED.......BUT there is more........

OK !!! got the low boost fixed...............BUT................

The low boost was the y lines. I switched the y line form my GN to my TTA and I have boost.

Now I have a serge at high boost or over 10psi. All speeds. I let out of the throttle as soon as I feel it. Boost guage reads below the red. Adjustable regulator turned all in. It feels like I am hitting the brakes hard during excelleration. :confused: This serging issue is new to me. Too much boost?? Factory guage is below the red. 16 to 17psi

Hard start issue fixed. Lack of driving. The more i drive the better it gets. Not worried about it but the boost surge I am.

Back