Lowering engine temps w/FAST

S351 R

Ever since installing FAST, car runs quite a measure hotter, especially in traffic/idle and cruise.

Are there methods to change timing, a/f ratio's etc, that can help cool the engine at these times.

FWIW, (on 351W and S-Trim), timing at about 1100rpm idle is around 30 degrees on BaseSpark and not an agressive Timing Trim either (>6deg@112error). Car drives ok but have not really tuned everything yet...

Any $.02 is appreciated

Have you verified the timing with a timing light? You should first make sure that the ignition isn't in bypass mode. In bypass, the timing will be fixed at the crank sensor trigger angle: 10 degrees. This will make the engine run hotter and possibly even make your exhaust manifolds glow red.

Yep, according to the timing light (Ford TFI SPOUT in) I got the Dist and FAST to read the same (initially about 2 degrees different).
Is there something else I need to check?

I would also add that Im really only talking about a 12-18 degree increase in temp after intalling FAST and haven't noticed glowing headers or anything yet.

Woops! Thought we were talking about a Buick V6... My bad.

The TFI is somewhat similar though. The usual causes of increased temps would be excessivly rich or lean and/or significanty retarded timing. Other than that, I'd be surprised if there was a noticable difference. Is it possible that the fan (assuming an electric fan) has a high and low speed relay and the ECU is controlling only the low speed?

Actually, I believe the fan kicks on immediately to the high speed, (really puts the zap on the charging system too). The stock CCRM would've been needed to affect high/low speed. There may be an easy fix to getting control of the speed of the fan, but haven't put any time into that yet.

My thought was that reducing the timing at very low rpm 'some' would reduce chamber temps thereby reducing water temp...
Is this thinking correct?

Thanks again Lance.

How the timing effects the coolant temp is probably application specific but my experience has indicated that increasing the timing lowers the coolant temp and the EGT at low RPM.

It'll be an easy test for you though. Let us know how it works out.