LS-1 MAF and translator or Stock MAF?

t-topflyer

I had an LS-1 MAF sensor + translator setup on my TR when I got it, but have since switched back to a stock MAF. I can't really tell any difference between the setups other than if I don't hotwire the LS-1 setup my alky kit won't work right with it. What benefit is the LS-1 + translator setup supposed to have over the stock MAF?

From what little I know; ZERO, as long as the stocker does not become a restriction. I "think" the LS-1 sensor may have the "ability" to flow more air due to its physical size.

You can also adjust/tune your car with the trans+ by adjusting fuel and timing. With the new chips available, it can also be done in the chip.

Replacing your MAF can be pricey and hard to find a good stock one.

reliability of the Ls-1 is leaps and bounds ahead of the stockers! plus when i switched from a stocker to an lt1... still 3 inch bore, i had 4psi of boost increase (not necessarily wanted though) which to me indicates that the stocker was a big restriction over the lt1. just my experiences:)

reliability of the Ls-1 is leaps and bounds ahead of the stockers! plus when i switched from a stocker to an lt1... still 3 inch bore, i had 4psi of boost increase (not necessarily wanted though) which to me indicates that the stocker was a big restriction over the lt1. just my experiences:)

+1 on reliability. You will have to get a new MAF one day. The stock rebuilt ones are junk. LS1 all the way....

Not to mention the price difference between the stock MAF ($180) vs. the LS1 MAF ($110). And like someone said earlier, good luck finding a reliable stocker, they're out there, but again... $180... I'm in the process of switching myself.

Plus... All the cool guys have the updated MAFs... Look under the hood of most of the quick Buicks at the track... :biggrin:

---Ron

The biggest gain that has failed to be mentioned is that a LS1 maf will read higher gps and gives the ecm much better information to work with.

The biggest gain that has failed to be mentioned is that a LS1 maf will read higher gps and gives the ecm much better information to work with.

The higher reading is true with the extender chip line. Any other chip and 255 is still the limit. It's a limit of the ECM not the MAF.

The higher reading is true with the extender chip line. Any other chip and 255 is still the limit. It's a limit of the ECM not the MAF.

Interesting, i did not know that. I thought the translator did that and sent the updated signal to the ecm.

Nope, Dave's right. The code in the chip is only written to process 255gps. All the translator does is modify the signal from the new maf so that it looks the same as the stock maf at the same flow rate. ie: if the stocker put out a 5 khz square wave at 255 gps and the lt1 puts out a 10 khz siine wave at 255 gps then the trans would see the 10 khz sine wave from the lt1 and out put a 5 khz square wave to the ecm so that the ecm itself never knows anything changed.

If you get the extender chips they have been modified to basically put out twice as much fuel as necessary for the maf reading they receive. This is why you then need the trans so that you can set it to cut the maf signal. IE when the lt1 maf puts out that 10 khz sine wave the trans sees it and sends a 2.5 khz square wave to the ecm. The ecm then thinks that the engine is only getting 127.5 gps of air and codes for the appropriate amount of fuel. That's okay though because the fuel maps and such in the chip are setup to compensate. This enables the ecm to effectively read twice as much airflow as stock.

Now for the disclaimer. I'm not sure exactly what part of the code Bob modifies for his extenders. I would guess it's in the tables but that's only a guess and I've never taken the time to look. I know he makes a great chip and the examples where more or less just what would seem logical to me and could be wrong. The overall concept should still be clear though. Also, the frequencies stated I pulled from my behind to make the math easy. Don't use them to troubleshoot because you'll probably be looking for signals that aren't going to be there!;)

Correct. In the simplest of terms, the Translator just translates "chevy maf speak" into "buick maf language" that the ecm can understand. The Buick ECM still thinks it's seeing a Buick maf signal.

The extender just cuts the maf signal in half, and recalculates the fuel delivery algorythms to deliver twice the fuel, so the math all works out in the end.

On your scan tool you just double the maf reading you're seeing to get true flow.