You can type here any text you want

LS1 rear disc users

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FastRegalWE2

Wish I had another Buick!
I got some of the parts to do the swap. I was reading the How To on it and the guy says that you have to have mini tubs for them to fit???
That true? :confused:

I haven't done it, but I think I know what you're talking about. The problem gets to be that if you locate the caliper on the top of the axle, it will hit the frame if the car is lowered, and is probably just short on clearance all together. The other problem is that if you locate the caliper on the bottom, it'll interfere with the shocks. I believe when you buy the Baer kit that a relocation bracket is supplied to move the shocks slightly. On the MonteSS board there was a guy who posted pictures of his rear LS1 swap a couple weeks ago, it had a picture of the bracket he made.

Greasemonkey said:
I haven't done it, but I think I know what you're talking about. The problem gets to be that if you locate the caliper on the top of the axle, it will hit the frame if the car is lowered, and is probably just short on clearance all together. The other problem is that if you locate the caliper on the bottom, it'll interfere with the shocks. I believe when you buy the Baer kit that a relocation bracket is supplied to move the shocks slightly. On the MonteSS board there was a guy who posted pictures of his rear LS1 swap a couple weeks ago, it had a picture of the bracket he made.

You wouldn't happen to have a link would you?? I've did a search and can't find the thread. I'm in the process of gather all the things to do the front and rear LS1 swap and guess I need to look into this issue. I talked with Bruce a little bit about this and he thought you MIGHT be able to get by with reclocking the caliper. :confused:

my car isnt lowered, its actually an inch or so higher than stock in the rear
that link would be great too if you have it/can find it :biggrin:

So far haven't been able to find the exact thread, but I did find his personal webpage. It has some pics of the install and the bracket. Look here.

Found the actual thread. Here.

THANKS Greasemonkey!!!

Greasemonkey said:
So far haven't been able to find the exact thread, but I did find his personal webpage. It has some pics of the install and the bracket. Look here.

THANKS A TON!!! Greasemonkey. Man I looked all over that website for that thread and typed every type of brake search in the search bar but that thread never came up. This is GREAT info to have for this upgrade!!

Thanks again!!

Greasemonkey said:

I wonder if moving the shock will have any effect on the handling or the geometery of the suspension?? :confused: It doesn't look like it's moved a whole lot.

Walker231T said:
I wonder if moving the shock will have any effect on the handling or the geometery of the suspension?? :confused: It doesn't look like it's moved a whole lot.
I'm pretty sure Baer does the same thing with their kit. I don't remember, but I think someone actually said it helped geometry. Thats just something I kinda remember, so it may not even be close to true. Either way, I doubt it moves the shock enough to cause any major differences. Now if somebody can come up with a good way to hook up the parking brake, I'm sold on this.

Anybody got an update on the parking brake issue? Does anyone know if this swap moves the wheel?

thanks,
doug

i bought a laser cut steel brackets off of ebay for my rear brakes. the seller is scarebird. hes got some up an auction now. just type in buick grand naional. it uses metric mid 80s cadilac rear calipers and s-10 4x4 front rotors, they are vented. i used metric front calipers and deleted the parking brake. the fit was good. to get even better brakes one could slap on drilled or slotted rotors. they make them for buick and s-10 fronts. just to throw out another idea, tubbing the rear sounds like a lot of work.

just did ls1 rears last weekend, and got shock relocation bracket from baer in case i needed them.

Here is a pic for you. and the kit comes w/ all new parking brake cables

Attachments

• DSCF0007a.JPG
    DSCF0007a.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 189
Stuie, what did you need to get for your rear setup? That looks real good, how does it stop?

Back