LSx Turbo setups

Ive been doing some reading and have heard some great things about the Borg Warner s400, which seems to be similar/same as what you have. Would it be too larger for a 5.3? What if it was bored to a 5.7? Should I go slightly smaller, if so whats a good choice for around the same price?

yes i have a base s400, and it is too big for a 5.3, even a 5.7 its pretty large. I would try getting a S374, those things are perfect for 5.7s and 5.3s. Although they are quite a bit more expensive. Otherwise just get a master power t70, those are great for alot of tq and up to 550-600hp.
Gary

How does this sound for a 4.8/5.3 build? Would it be a good combo and about how quick would it spool up.

Like the title says, I'm selling my 67mm turbo (Holset hybrid) from my HP Performance Stg II kit that was on my yellow '89 Mustang. I'm selling the turbo only. The turbo has a polished compressor housing and is a T4 turbine housing flange, 96 A/R, and 3.5" v-band outlet. The compressor inlet is 4" and discharge is 2.5" I believe. The compressor housing has some small scratches, and the turbo has about 1,000 miles run time, but this turbo is in great condition (no shaft play, spins freely, no oil in exhaust). I would like to get $475 out of this turbo. I have gone 9.81 @ 139.4 mph with this turbo on a 347ci SBF (approx 700+ crankshaft hp).

you can do high compression - 9.4:1 - and low boost with a large turbo. great throttle response, boost will come on after 4000 rpm to redline.

two t3-54 compressor is a good match, likely a .63 stage 3 turbine are good for 450-620 bhp.

or a single t70 (go with pte or tnetics btw), t72 or gt4094.

however, if you're really going turbo, lower the compression, get a forged crank, rods and pistons. it's ridiculous to spend so much for a turbo and not really use it. turbos should be making MOST of the power (50+%).

good luck.

LOL, you must not know LSx motors that well. I run the stock 9.4:1 6.0L and i run 9-10psi, NON-intercooled. Also, the stock crank will easily hold 1200whp, all that is needed are pistons and rods.
Also, that turbo you posted would be quite awesome on a 5.3, i have read of quite a few people making 550-600whp with those, and one thing i would suggest looking into would be a rear mount, as that is what this turbo is most commonly used for. It would save you a whole lot of money, and easily meet your power goals. Plus the g body has plenty of room for it.
Gary

LOL, you must not know LSx motors that well. I run the stock 9.4:1 6.0L and i run 9-10psi, NON-intercooled. Also, the stock crank will easily hold 1200whp, all that is needed are pistons and rods.

first, 9-10 psi is low pressure. i wasn't implying 2 psig. my regal gs runs 8.5 psi non-intercooled. it's certainly not 25 psi. even with 10 psi you'll gain hp with an intercooler.

i know the stock 3-5/8" crank will do 500 whp, but have never heard anyone using it for anywhere near 1200 whp. does this apply to the 4.8 crank?

the 4.8 is the most efficient of the ls motors - really oversquare, super high rod/stroke ratio, more squish - but it's gm's bastard v8. they never endorsed it. last year gm started putting LS2 heads on the 4.8/5.3. hollow 2" valves are much lighter than stock 1.89" valves, and will let you reach 6600 rpm - not just from a valve float pov, but also air flow.

verz: you never stated what the purpose of the app is. what's the goal weight? drag, autocross, road racing, daily driver?

the 4.8 is the most efficient of the ls motors - really oversquare, super high rod/stroke ratio, more squish - but it's gm's bastard v8. they never endorsed it. last year gm started putting LS2 heads on the 4.8/5.3. hollow 2" valves are much lighter than stock 1.89" valves, and will let you reach 6600 rpm - not just from a valve float pov, but also air flow.

verz: you never stated what the purpose of the app is. what's the goal weight? drag, autocross, road racing, daily driver?

The car is mainly going to be a nice day car(no rain no snow its being driven) and see some strip action 1-2 times a month, so its going to need to be fairly reliable. Its going to be a full weight car, only thing deleted is going to be ac and thats because i never use it. Pretty much i want to go as fast as I can without having to add all the safety features like roll bar, drive shaft loop, harness and what not and from teh rule books those are needed at 11.49 or faster.

Im trying to pick up that turbo from a local but our sites down so hopefully he still has it.

a built 6L will get you there and be very streetable. you could start with an ls2, or truck block - 80 lb more won't hurt a full sized car. LS3 heads, strong cam, good compression, headers. you can even get a carb intake. gm rates their crate carbureted LS3 at 515 hp. are you going to run premium gas?

I realize that i can get to my goal with more cubes and the right combo, but as I stated above I wanna see what the turbo hype is about as ive already driven NA and supercharged cars.

I just want to find the ideal turbo for a nice simple build using a fairly stock LSx motor. Pretty much the only other mod i have planned is maybe some rockers or a small cam as Id like to keep it somewhat quite and not draw too much attention.

Whats an apporiate sized turbo for a 4.8 if im looking for a quick spool up and responsiveness but will still make power up to 6500ish?

Asking because I found a Turbonetics T66 with a .69ar on the turbine size and wasnt sure if thatd be too small or if it be right but just need a larger turbine.

Heres a little info and a few pics

I bought this turbo from Jose at Forced Inductions but unfortuneately am not going to get to use it. It has an MPS turbine wheel, On center exhaust housing, and a .69 AR housing. It is polished as well.
T66turbonetics.jpg

T66turbonetics1.jpg