maf options & opinions

dboosted1

I have been chasing a higher rpm stumble and beleive that my maf is going south( showing 210 AF on scanmaster max). I really want the tans + w/ ls1 and extender but the fact is that it is expensive $500.00+. I know you get what you pay for but can buying a reproduction maf from the local parts store work well? Kirban has also started to sell rebuilt AC delco mafs ($185.00)is this a good option. I will inevidably purchase the trans + but just cant afford it right now (20 y/o and going to school). So basically I will be purchasing another "stock" maf. Any reconmondations on a brand that has had success. I appreciate the help....thanks

(ps. i did do a search on the topic but could not find a recomendations on brands)

Just buy the T+ and MAF without the extender. That gets you down into the $350 range. Or you could get the regular translator & MAF for a little over $250, then upgrade later or get a MaxEffort instead. I would stay away from reman's and autozone like the plague.

Finally since it is high rpm first make sure its not your valva springs going south

I've heard that people were having good luck with the napa rebuilt mafs. For a $100 and a good warrenty you cant go wrong, especially if you are going to upgrade at a later date.

The Echlin unit sold by NAPA supposedly uses a stock Delco core and has gotten good reviews in terms of reliability and price.

I know that I'll be trying that one when the need arises.

My local napa was a bit cheaper than 100 bucks - I think they were in the high 80's/low 90's.

HTH
Rich

Originally posted by dboosted1
I have been chasing a higher rpm stumble and beleive that my maf is going south( showing 210 AF on scanmaster max). I really want the tans + w/ ls1 and extender but the fact is that it is expensive $500.00+.

Reading 210 still shoud get you decent performance.
I'd suggest you really figure out what's wrong without guessing before you so anything.

Never buy any part expecting it to fix anything, without doing some diagnostics, or borrowing one from someone to check first.

You should gater a MAF, ECM, and maybe a brank sensor, just to have on hand for dagnostics. Waiting till something breaks and then HAVING to buy something at retail, isn't the dheap way to do things.