MAF pipes/cold air kits with IAT sensor bung

JST A 6

Shoulda kept the V8 in it
OK, maybe these are already available somewhere but if so I haven't been able to find them. I think it would be nice to see some extra-long (so they can be cut to length) MAF pipes and cold air kit pipes with a 3/8" bung already welded in for the IAT sensor, or at least have the welded-in bung option offered. Maybe another option would be a short section of pipe for in between the MAF sensor and air filter with the bung welded in. I've been running a cone filter on my GN ever since I bought it with a hole punched into the collar and the IAT sensor shoved in it but in the back of my mind it's always seemed to be a sort of hokey way of getting the IAT sensor installed. I would like something that looks a little more professional and is sure to seal much better too. I'm going to be looking for a new MAF pipe or cold air kit soon (my current MAF pipe is way too short as it is and once I switch to an LT1 MAF/translator my filter will be even closer to the alternator pulley:eek:, plus I'd like to get the air filter out from behind my radiator) so what do you vendors got for me?:biggrin:

I simply drilled a hole in the pipe and the sensor just screwed right in. Used a little teflon tape to seal it up. Works well for years, plus I don't have to screw it in flush which means less of the senfor is obstructing air flow.

How about this

It's a piece of Aluminum intercooler piping with a 3/8 NPT bung welded in. I have it off the car for powder coat but it puts the air filter in the space where the Charcoal canister used to be. There is a whole through the core support there directly behind the headlights tested it last night and when you started moving the IAT dropped pretty fast to Ambient.

Attachments

• IMG00042.jpg
    IMG00042.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG00043.jpg
    IMG00043.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 554
It's a piece of Aluminum intercooler piping with a 3/8 NPT bung welded in. I have it off the car for powder coat but it puts the air filter in the space where the Charcoal canister used to be. There is a whole through the core support there directly behind the headlights tested it last night and when you started moving the IAT dropped pretty fast to Ambient.

Something like that is what I'm talking about. I realize you're not really trying to sell it, but how much is it worth to ya, without the powder coating?;)

Something like that is what I'm talking about. I realize you're not really trying to sell it, but how much is it worth to ya, without the powder coating?;)

I'm already attached to it :biggrin: and it's already coated. Really it's so simple to make all you need is a 3/8" Aluminum and a piece of 45 degree intercooler piping. A friend actually fabricated the bung from a block of Aluminum. We fitted the whole thing up and made it in an hour.

See the thread in the how to's for final fit.

My whole point in starting this thread is that some people don't have the tools to fabricate something like this, or know anybody who does. I'm one of those people.:frown:

My whole point in starting this thread is that some people don't have the tools to fabricate something like this, or know anybody who does. I'm one of those people.:frown:

So here's the neat part. Aside from the TIG welder it was fabbed with a sander and a saw (hacksaw would work). Get it made and a local welding shop cold weld the bung on. It would Probably work without the bung.

RE;Stupid Question

I have an old front mount Duttweiller inter cooler. It has one bung on air intake. One going to throttle body. What are these for. Both bungs are welded and threaded. Any help would be appriciatted....Rob

We're doing MAF pipes.. adding something like that in would be easy.

We're doing MAF pipes.. adding something like that in would be easy.

Do I get royalities for making the first one :tongue:

You really need the Vapor canister relocated to make it work. Jay how hard would it be to clone the old ATR bracket

RE;Not hard at all

I was around when it seem like everyone was moving them.I watched at least 7 before I did my own. There was a space below. With some tin and fitting was no big deal. My Limited which I wish I could finish. I did in about 2 hours. Didn't have my watch on....HTH'ed...Rob