Major wheel hop at launch

turboaddict2

This wheel hop happens only at launch. When I go wot from idle no wheel hop. But when I build boost, say 4 lbs., then go wot there is major wheel hop and it felt like the car's rear end was bouncing up and down and like the whole car was shaking:( :mad: Why did it happen only when I built boost before launching but when I went WOT from idle it didn't happen? Oh this was on the street and not at the track. I still have the stock control arms(lowers aren't boxed), two air bags, stock springs and sway bar, and a pinion snubber from Kirbans. What should I do to eliminate wheel hop?

Box the lowers and put some better bushings in at the same time. What pressure are you running in the airbags?

25lbs. passenger side and 7 lbs. driver side. Yeah boxing the lowers will be my next suspension upgrade when I get some cash.

First things first!

First place, a snubber has NO useful application on a 4 link car.:confused: ??
A 4 link is designed to move smoothly thru it's travel. A snubber only throws a very significant load/bind on the bushings. Being that the suspension is stock, and the bushings are mushy, they deform easily. Thus the wheel hop...
After the snubber gets deep 6'd, go forward w/ the rebuild as suggested by others.
If the car has alot of miles on it, I'd suggest new springs too...
Too much air in the bags, and they will act exactly like a basketball. When hit w/ power at launch, they are compressed, and then bounce back, unloading the suspension.
Another problem could be intermittent loss of pull on both wheels by the posi. If the power is "swapped" back and forth, the suspension can go into uneven loading and cause this. Posi refresh won't hurt..
Depending on the kind of tires and the pressure, they could be wadding up, causing you to drive over the wads, then the wheel hop starts.. I doubt this is the problem... More likely a 16 yr old suspension that needs some "TLC"!!;) ;)

So first things first. I should put back the stock pinion snubber(good thing I didn't throw it away)? And lower the air on the bags? I have BFG regular radials at 30 lbs....should I lower the pressure? What do you mean by the tires wadding up?

Think I need to read up on suspension theory rather than just the motor and trans.:( :eek: ....Thanks for the informative replies:)

In a wad?

The tires wad up,[wrinkle] on the contact area when they are run low on pressure, when the suspension loads and unloads them, etc.

As for the stock snubber.. not needed unless the 300# mother in law has her fat a$$ in the back seat, or you are hauling dead bodies in the trunk...:D :D :D