making a shroud

jim0207

INVNO1
I picked this stretch intercooler. There was no passenger side mounting bracket or shroud. So I am trying my hand metal work. The shroud is not done. Today was a trial fit to see how it fits. I first mounted the cooler to the engine temporarily.Then built a model of a shroud out of pvc board mounting one piece at a time to the shroud. I made two the first one was, well, let say it was undesirable. I learned a lot from the first one. The second one was better and usable. I used the template shroud to put 1/8" aluminum around it. Tack welding gently to create the shroud. While the intercooler was temporarily in it's location I built a bracket for the passenger side mount. I then slide the prototype shroud in it's new home. Here are some pictures. After I tig weld and polish there be more pictures.

Attachments

• stretch intercooler shroud 004.jpg
    stretch intercooler shroud 004.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 346
  • stretch intercooler shroud 001.jpg
    stretch intercooler shroud 001.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 302
  • stretch intercooler shroud 003.jpg
    stretch intercooler shroud 003.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 317
  • stretch intercooler shroud 005.jpg
    stretch intercooler shroud 005.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 326
  • stretch intercooler shroud 011.jpg
    stretch intercooler shroud 011.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 309
  • stretch intercooler shroud 010.jpg
    stretch intercooler shroud 010.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 278
hello; Looking good and that's what it takes to get it done but what the dia. of that alum. your using? It's looks beefy as hell.
IBBY

It is 1/8". My thoughts are to build the shroud out of Kevlar or fiberglass. surprisingly enough though it is not heavy. Of coarse I have not tigged it yet.

hello; I'm inspecting some covers right now made of .125 6061-t6 and you're going to have one beefy shroud but if it's not to late you might want to go to .090....
goodluck it's lookin good.
IBBY

Cool. Looks like an old V4 SLIC. If so, those things are great. I did the same for mine. Here's what the original and new bracket look like.

Thanks for sharing.

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

Cool. Looks like an old V4 SLIC. If so, those things are great. I did the same for mine. Here's what the original and new bracket look like.
Thank you SPOOLFOOL2, Your bracket. where are those two bolts that mount to the motor?

Thanks for sharing.

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

Getting ready to head out to a car show right now. When I get back, I'll take pictures.

Mike B.

Here's my new bracket installed. The two engine mounting bolts are 6 1/4" apart. Center to center. Upper bolt goes through a very long water pump bolt. This bolt goes into a water passage and will need sealant. The bracket has two 1/8" washers behind it and one in front. These spacers give the bracket clearance out and away from the oil pressure spring bolt. The bottom of the bracket attaches to a 3 3/4" long stand off, that screws into the bottom timing cover bolt. A 5/8" wrench fits over this stand off. However, you could make something with an all thread and some tubing. Bracket screws to the IC with two screws.

Pics from top.

Pics from the bottom.

Hope this helps.

Mike B.

Pictures really help. I was not thinking 3 dimensional. The rod coupling extends out which allows for a flat plate.. One other thought. I am thinking of fiber glass or Kevlar for the shroud.

I
Pictures really help. I was not thinking 3 dimensional. The rod coupling extends out which allows for a flat plate..

That is correct.

Not wanting to hijack your thread with pics of how I made my shroud, I'll bump my intercooler shroud thread to the top for you to see and post my new bracket pics.

Mike B.