You can type here any text you want

Man. I need some help. Ignition/computer.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

81nascar

Ok here goes. I am working with a 301 turbo T/A. Now I am going to be putting a slightly larger camshaft in it and my internals on my turbo have been upgraded to a different wheel for faster spool up and more boost. Now I want to run more boost than stock. Maybe 10-13 lbs. I had planned on getting the MSD 6 BTM to control some of my timing, but my car is computer controled. I want to be able to run everything on the car through the ecm since the carb is electronic to.

I guess my question is can I just put a vaccume advance distributer in and run it with the computer controling everything elese as normal? I want to run more boost than the stock computer will let me and I fear that eveytime I step on it the computer will try to retard my timing to much. Is there any ideas on how I can make this work?

Let me think about this . There maybe a way using the white wire trigger. Useing the signal going to the stock coil to trigger the the MSD6BTM then use msd to fire the coil.

I have idea in my head but I want to think it though first. So please stand by

Does your car have a Coil built into the cap? or is it external ?

I have a coil in the cap. As far as I know their aren't any chips in the 81 ecm, but I could be wrong. I think it just has a simple ecm. Do you know of any good performane places that are good with ecm's?

MSD lists a wiring harnes to connect a MSD 6 BTM directly to a CCC HEI distibutor. You don't need a vacuum advance distibutor.

If you must go with a vacuum distributor, makes sure you use one from a '80 301T with the knock retard system. I would then go with a non-CCC carburetor as well.

'81 ECM's have PROM chips. Nobody does anything with them however. Get a scan tool and use it with the CCC to tune the car. The scan tool will display knock retard.

Wow! Thanks b4black. I was not aware that the computer and the MSDBTM could work tongether. That is good news. So cranking up the boost shouldn't be any problem?

I'd get a scan tool or something else to too see the knock retard over the BTM. You can up the boost as long as it's not knocking. The BTM allows you to prevent knock, but you need to know what is happening first.

The scan tool is one way to monitor knock (most knocking is inaubible, so rely on your ears). Another is a knock gauge/alert. There are many designed for the Turbo Buick. One I like is Casper's knock gauge. It let's you see the level of knock. I question whether it will work with the earlier '81 ESC, but John Spina (Casper's onwer) said it should work with any system with an ECM. (I haven't heard of any 301T owners using one.)

http://www.casperselectronics.com/cgi-local/store/commerce.cgi?product=INST

What exactlly is a scan tool? I have heard the term a couple of times on the board.Are you refering to the little code scanner tool that you plug into the ecm plug in that flashes the check engine light?

No, those things are the biggest rip-off around. They are $35 paperclips. Just use a peice of wire (or a paperclip) and stick it in the two right-most positions of the top row of the ALDL connector under the dash (key on, engine off). This will flash the codes.

What you need is a scan tool. It's a device that plugs into the ALDL connector and reads the inputsand outputs of the ECM. It can tell you oxygen levels, coolant temps, knock retard, RPMs, converter cluth engagement, MAP or BARO sensors and more.

Search ebay for "OTC monitor" to see one brand of scan tool. These were used by professional mechanics and cost thousands when new. Now they're outdated like Super Nitendos (or Atrai 2600's for us really old folks ;) ).

They evolved as ECM's evolved. You have the earliest ECM, so you don't need anything fancy. Get an old basic model and save some money. I bought a Monitor 85,which only does 1981/85 GM cars, for $10.

Back