You can type here any text you want

manifold gasket leak

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TURBOELKY

before I tear the top of the engine down for a new manifold gasket, any last words of wisdom? I have no issues doing the mechanical part, just the vaccume hose routing:eek: :eek: :eek: !!! this 81 has more hoses than i've ever seen on a car:mad: must have built on a monday:D any thing that would help performance? thinking of porting the manifold and carb plenum. any help is cool, thanks guys:cool:

yup, i've been to that site many times over and over. When the top comes apart, i'll probably port the manifold, thinking of taking the heads off to install new head gasket while i'm at it, and have the heads rebuilt with a good valve job. I want to keep it smog legal, since it did pass ligit last time with no problem, but if you dont need the smog pump to pass, i'll toss is in a milk carton. I still need the 82 wastegate housing though:eek: already have the gaskets, just need a few days of time. I really want this to go back together very dependable again, its my DD.:D

Make sure of what passes and what does'nt in California. (Damn I hate those stupid emissions requirements being applied to an old car).

I heard that California along with New Jersey and some others have strict requirements which make little sense on older cars. It's like either you keep it like it rolled off of the assembly line or crush it.

If you know the state limitation then you know what you can do to the car.

I was going to suggest putting larger intake valves, but don't know how that would effect emissions, (may richen it up some). But it up's the HP for sure.

It's a shame to be in there and not be able to do all you can while it's disassembled. :(

man, you have to have a cat. on your a$$ to pass gas in cali:eek: I was thinking about grabbing some 87 headers, and turbo, dropping on an edelbrock manifold and what ever carb it takes, and make it a blow through? but the car's too original, and I dont want to take that route:cool:

If I had the heads off, I'd get a pull port job done on them.

Exhaust manifolds and crossover from a 1980 are much bigger than the 81's. You can change them anytime though.

I should have snagged those parts the other day at the bone yard. There was an 80 turbo regal, really complete too? weird. complete engine compartment and all, but too much of a hastle sometimes. I'd rather buy the whole car, or find the parts on here:D

Back